The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my turn to ask for help. I saw this at the wholesalers last week and decided to pick it up. No clue as to what kind of coral it is, so I have researched and looked and looked in all my books, but I can't find another.

Can someone maybe tell me what it is.

It is olive green in color and when the polyps come out, they are lavender/purple. It is an encrusting type of coral. It's just beautiful, but can't sell it iif I don't have a clue as to what it is.

OH, on the receipt fromt he wholesalers, it says "unknown coral" LOL

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geoff, the second is with the polyps 3/4 out. They don't come out much more than this. The first is closed up.

I have purchased many favia's from this wholesaler and when he couldn't ID it, I got to scratching my head. If the consenses is it's a favia, then that's what I will go with....but hummmmmmm.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Lise how do you feel about my suggestion after your response to Wasabi? I'm also guessing that for what ever reason, the polyps have just not fully extended yet and get a wee bit larger than the second pic.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a pic as of 5 minutes ago. I just fed the tank, and guess it was hungry.

This is as close as I can get and zoomed in. I am now more apt to think its is a type of moon coral. There are NO poyps, per say....(see what happens when you get old, you start seeing things)

So, do we have a moon coral?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I still think it's Diploastrea versus Favites.

Julian Sprung: "Corals - a quick reference guide"
Diploastrea: pg 107
Favites: pg 110

Borneman: "Corals"
Diploastrea: pg 287
Favites: pg 291/292

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Lise based on the geometric symmetry, individuality and eveness of the coralites and that the coral looks more plate like is the reason I feel it's Diploastrea. Also the coralites on Favites share a common "wall" between the coralites where as on the Diploastrea they are individual coralites meeting at the base.

On a side note. Favia which are also similair tend to have individual irregular shaped coralites, often in the form of a "8".

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much for the help.

FYI, it frags pretty easy with no apparent affect to tissue around the break. We'll see what it looks like in a couple of days I fraged (hammer and chisled) about a 4" wide section, and that part is already out and feeding...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts