The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was leaning over the dock collecting barnacles and mussels for my tank when i noticed that there are lots of tiny gobies on the dock. They were there around the same time last year. Bad news is they are extremely small. I collected 2 of them and have them in a 5 gallon tank until i can find something for them eat, they are about 1/2-3/4" long and never stop moving, crazy little things. What do i feed them and what species are they?
Heres some pictures (not too great since they are very small and always swimming around so hard to get a picture)
Heres one of them

Heres a better picture of their bodies, they are brownish with darker stripes vertically along their sides.

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are cute little things but i think they may be round gobies, an invasive species, they have one large bottom fin instead of 2 small ones, leading me to believe they are round gobies, since they are small they pose no threat though and i dont think they ever will. An update: I tried feeding them frozen brine shrimp and they are not interested in it at all, so i went to Plan B. I took 2 plants out of my fuge tank and shook them out in a bowl of water to collect lots of tiny pods, and then i poured that into the goby tank. They seem to be eating a couple but not many, we'll see what happens

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha yea i found that and i found that they are the only goby around here with that one bottom fin so thats why im thinking thats what they may be.. We'll see in time!

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea cutietwo the water is starting to cool down, in the morning it was 65 and at 12:30 it was at 70 but thats just surface temperature, probably goes down into the high 50s-low 60s down lower. Im going snorkeling next weekend for macro algaes and other stuff for my native tank ill tell you how it feels :funny:

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update!

So they are calm now in their little tank and have developed better colors, i think i got 1 female and 1 male maybe.. One has a much lighter coloring then the other and the darker one has vertical bright lines. They are eating! They eat about 2 frozen brine shrimp a day :lol: Heres some pictures! ( By the way they are about 1/2 an inch long )
One of them

Their tank and them, you can see how small they are, this tanks only 3 gallons!

Same fish

Both of them, they dont really like eachother.. Should fix itself when they are in the 55 gallon.

The lighter colored fish, this one is more aggressive than the black one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.