The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the thoughts on the best nano cubes? I'd like something that's at the biggest 20 gallons, but i'm fine with 10 or 15. I'd like something that's as all-inclusive as possible, with lights and filtration and everything, so what I be looking for?

Aquapad and JBJ seem to be offering things like I'm looking for, but I've heard JBJ's crack or break easily?

·
Registered
178 Posts
My 12g jbj is fine but I would get the aquapod.I would of gotten it myself but the jbj is ok for small places.If getting it for reef,Remove everyting but the sponge.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
the 2006 versions of the JBJ nano cube are supposed to have the cracking issue resolved. I have an older version of the JBJ 24g nano cube and have been very happy with it

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Sorry I don't know :) I would definitely go with the 24g version of either though the 12g will get crowded fast

·
Registered
335 Posts
I say leave the carbon in whatever you get. Makes for crystal clear water.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
It's easier to go skimmerless in a nano because it's easier to do lots of waterchanges I would change 10% a week minimum. On the fission I had no luck with it but it may work better in the aquapod since thats the tank it was designed for

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I know two people that have used the fission skimmer and have had no real good luck with it. One had a 12 gal aquapod. that other was JBJ. But then again it is a small system and what exactly can you expect from a mini skimmer. My 24gal aguapod I have pulled out everything but one sponge. Then again their wasn't much more in it. If you have any ? feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Skip the Fission skimmer between the broken elbows, the micro bubbles, the headache of getting it set up, dropping the water level in the tank to get it to fit in the back and the fact that it doesn't skim enough to be worth the price.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
ok i have had a nano cube dx since jan and its been running nicely nothing has broken and all is well. I heard that aqua pod had a recall some time ago and personaly i dont go with things that had recalls. exept for xbox 360 hehe. anywho i started mine as a nemo with live rock then got a bigger tank. i say go bigger now and save the money. Because you will always want bigger. Give in to the URGE MUHAHAHAHA oh sorry went over a little anyways go for the JBJ is nice and compact and make water changes easier. But sometime tend to get a little hot in the so i took my heater out and everything is ok now.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I have had my 12 gal JBJ for 2 Years. I have had no problems with it and considering I know very little about saltwater tanks its perfect. Basically all I do is a water change about every other month(tho now may do more often cause slowly adding polups and more inverts). My peramiters stay great so no worries there. Do find a good LFS because there are a lot of things you cant put in a cube and you dont want someone selling you things that WILL die.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
We always want it bigger. Once I get to know my corals and such I am getting a bigger tank! I hate the limits the cube puts on me. But to begin with it is great.

:blob: :lol: :blob: :lol: :blob: :lol: :blob: :lol: :blob:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts