The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temperament is nearly identical to my striped damsels, unintimidated and active. Body is more streamlined tan the damsels. Mouth is similar to wrasse or damsel, doesn't appear to be a baby grouper.

Distinguishing characteristics are the black line through the eye and bottom fins are bright red.

Also can change colors rapidly, from nearly black to the light color shown in photos.

I have observed these fish is sizes up to 5" is the shallow rocky tidal waters, native waters are semi tropical temperate. water today was 75 deg, but probably warmer in the shallow area I caught them.

sorry for bad pics, you should see the ones I didn't use :)

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give it a whorl

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Kinda looks like a cardinal...

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
After looking through some pics, there is some, but not enough to say they are a cardinal. Maybe pseudo chromis?

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does, huh? I've no real clue, you collected these from the gulf, right?
Not really the gulf, but tidal waters, where summer is brackish and winter is salt. These tough little buggers didn't even blink at my 1.025 water.

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mobile bay, about 15 miles from open water

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok, so around the same latitude as Week's Bay then?
It's tough to tell what fish it is with the pics. Looks kinda like a wrasse of some kind, but again, kinda hard to tell. If I were you, I would get a copy of the Fishes of the Gulf of Mexico.
http://www.amazon.com/Fishes-Gulf-Mexico-Louisiana-Adjacent/dp/0890967679
If you plan to keep stocking you tank with stuff from the Gulf, you will really find this book useful. It has both juvenile and adult descriptions and pictures which since you're pulling stuff from MB which, is known to have lots of juvies especially this time of the year, you'll want to be sure to ID things right in the field not after you've got them in your tank. If you don't already have a SW fishing license, I would suggest that too. I know that when we lived in Pensacola, the FLFWC had very detailed guidelines on what you could take and what the fines would be if you were checked by FWC.
Anyway, best of luck and post up when you find out what fish it is.

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, it might be a juvenile gray snapper:

one of my fishing buddies thinks it's something he calls a "ruby lips" but I can't find any info on it, be careful using google images with keywords "ruby lips", lol

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

the middle one has the line through the eye like the babies I have

This one convinced me:

·
originally original
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
now I know why the little guys eat so much

:D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yup, the fin counts match up perfectly for gray snapper. I completely forgot they'd be in that area right now. The reason you don't see them larger than 5" is because they recruit, ehr, move offshore as they get bigger.
Here's some info from fishbase:http://fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=266&genusname=Lutjanus&speciesname=griseus
You'll need to check your sw fishing license docs for size and creel limits on them as well as other fish as they are a managed fishery.
Again, if you're going to collect stuff from the MB or any of the Bays in the area, you're going to need to get the Fishes of the Gulf of Mexico as well as a SW license. It has both adult and juvenile keys and descriptions. Both AL DNR and FL FWC can ID a fish as quick as they can write a citation for possession of undersized and/or out of season fish;)

Ruby Red Lips are one of 2 fish depending on which part of the Gulf you fish. There's the Tomtate and White Grunt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts