The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a couple stony corals last weekend and I notice on the bottom of the rock the lobed brain coral came on there are dozens of these little creatures that I've never seen before. If it's aiptasia, and I hope it isn't, they are much more attractive than I'm used to. At this point they are just on the bottom. Please let me know if you know what these little guys are. TIA!

Attachments

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
That is hard to determine. I've never seen aiptasia with mouths as wide around as those. Also, is that coralline algae or cyanobacteria growing on that rock?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's coralline. There is also some encrusting coral on the other side but unfortunately, it's a brownish color.

I don't know if this helps with ID, but they don't slide into holes like aiptasia normally do when you get close.

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
Wow that is some nice coralline! Unfortunately, I can't tell you for sure, but I don't take chances with my purchases :)

When in doubt Aiptasia X to the rescue! LoL

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Aip X loaded and ready for action. They are actually attractive little guys so I don't want to nuke them unless I have to. Of course they're only cute small and contained. I don't want them taking over the tank if they have that capability!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be a best-case scenario! I did an image search and you might be right. I had only thought orange ball anemones were bigger with actual orange balls within the tentacles. I fed them this last weekend and was surprised how many there were once the Coral Frenzy hit. It will probably be easier to tell for sure if they grow a little more. I'll look again tonight after reading more about orange ball anemones. Thanks!

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
That would be a best-case scenario! I did an image search and you might be right. I had only thought orange ball anemones were bigger with actual orange balls within the tentacles. I fed them this last weekend and was surprised how many there were once the Coral Frenzy hit. It will probably be easier to tell for sure if they grow a little more. I'll look again tonight after reading more about orange ball anemones. Thanks!
Yea I have some they aren't really orange. I'm guessing the reason why is because of shipping conditions. I'm sure if you fed them they would color up. Nice colony you have there.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for turning my experience from nervous to happy Alex!

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts