The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29g Biocube and got a ick problem. I have moved all my fish over to a hospital tank and using the hypo treatment. Im at 1.010 range. After 6 to 8 weeks with my main tank empty will this take care of the ick? PLEASE help!

·
$ The Poor Reefer $
582 Posts
You should probably treat the DT too, if the fish had it in the dt, it's in the water. In sure someone who knows a little more will chime in :)

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Crypto is an obligate parasite, needs fish to complete it's lifecycle. You may bump up the temp a little to make it cycle faster, but not too much. Check out the sticky in the disease forum to see Mr. Peanut's hypo treatment.

·
Premium Member
34,741 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

ich is a tough beast. in most cases unless you are an experienced reef keeping moving fish to a hospital tank will do more harm then good. ich is caused by stress. if you are able to remove the stress then ich will generally go away.

G~

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

ich is a tough beast. in most cases unless you are an experienced reef keeping moving fish to a hospital tank will do more harm then good. ich is caused by stress. if you are able to remove the stress then ich will generally go away.

G~
That depends if you are discussing ich as an observable infection or the organism cryptocaryon irritans. Stress does not cause cryptocaryon irritans to magically appear in your system. Stress will cause it to be get worse and be noticable. But if it is in your system lowering stress is not going to make the organism go away either. It will only be infecting the gills, nostrils, etc. Whether or not this causes any distress or shortens life is not known one way or another. Fish can live a long time without seeing a visible outbreak. But it is always lurking waiting for a system failure or some other cause of stress to be visible again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well im new to reef keeping but so far everyone seems to be doing better. They are eating and no more rubbing against stuff. Level is at 1.090 only problem is the ammonia level keeps going up. Im having to do a water change every day. Which is fine if it keeps my fish healthy.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.