The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ICK!! treatment in reef tank - AND IM

I recently got an order from Marine Depot Live and now half my fish are dead and the rest have ick!! What should I do? I have brain coral and assorted quadricolors and crabs and snails. Please Help.

Thanks,
Travis Jeffrey:confused: :mad:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have limited funds, and this is my first tank give me break :) no all i have is my reef tank.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I would think you would either want to get a hospital tank or find somewhere else for the corals to go so you can treat the fish in the main tank. Do you have live rock? I don't think most treatments such as copper can be treated with live rock!

Austin

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Oops! I meant cannot be treated with live rock! sry! LOL

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
An effective quarantine tank does not require a significant investment and if your going to be in SW it s/b considered an essential part of your system. A ten gallon tank cost $10 - a small powerfilter cost another $10 - throw in a inexpensive heater and a few pieces of pcv pipe for fish shelter and you have the essentials for an effective Qt.

There is no consistently effective reef safe medication for treating ich. You should remove the fish and treat in a QT. The std effective treatments for ich are copper and hyposalinity. If you leave your show tank without fish for 5 weeks the ich in the show tank will die off.

Heres a couple of links discussing ich

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/aquarium_fish_1.html

Good luck.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am dealing with Ich too - I had some fish die and I don't think I waited enough time before adding new fish.......Unfortunately I don't think I can catch the fish in my tank - there are too many hiding places and I don't want to dissasemble the whole rock wall - it will be too messy with all the corals etc.

I am treating with a lot of garlic soaked foods and just waiting it out. I have had a yellow tang and some clowns survive the epidemic before.....Unfortunately I'll probably lose the new fish I just spent $$ on.

I am very frustrated because I didn't have patience! Not only have I lost $$$ but I subjected some really nice fish.......Just be sure you wait about 6 weeks before adding any new ones so that the "ich" cycle has time to die off.

GOOD LUCK! (Let it be a small comfort to know that there is someone just as frustrated as you are)...... :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
I would, and have before gone with 'Garlic Guard' with each feeding and if you can get one a cleaner shrimp would help. I've had one outbreak before I started using the garlic, Every fish I caught and isolated and treated died. Then I started doseing the garlic guard, I lost two more fish but the rest are healthy to this day. Since then I have added a yellow tang and a coral beuaty and never seen a spot. I think the added stress of getting the fish out and placing in a new tank useally kills it off. The garlic guard contains vitiame C also which should help. Also no Cu treating the main tank, it just makes the stress on the fish worse and ruins the tank and rock.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i second the cleaner shrimp with garlic extract if you insist on not setting up a $30 total cost QT (be careful with ammonia if you do). some fish will not use a cleaner shrimp, though. Some fish will survive and develop a short term immunity. Make sure your water quality is perfect... good luck.

When you lose a couple hundred dollars worth of fish all of a sudden, the quarantine tank doesn't seem so pricey.

Petsmart
10G tank 9.99
top fin heater 11.99
penguin filter with bio-wheel less than $20 (get the 170 and don't worry about a powerhead. 170gph on a 10G is plenty.)

gordon

·
Registered
99 Posts
While garlic seems to help with light infections, it is not the most effective treatment. I definately would not rely on cleaner shrimp to cure ich. If you want the most comprehensive information available about ich on the internet then go to http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/aquarium_fish_1.html. Then look in the library there for the other four parts to the series on Cryptocaryon irritans (ich).

Cheers,
Terry B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts