The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I have lost 3 fish in the last week and I am pretty sure that it is due to aggression and not water quality or disease. First of all I come to this conclusion because all of my water checks have come out good and I notice nothing differant looking in my tank. Second of all is that all of the fish had nipped on fins. Third of all the only fish left standing (a green chromis (that is what I was told it was but it doesnt look exactly like other pics that I have seen of them) is acting normal and has no bite marks on fins. If it was disease he would be showing signs of it too right? Fourth is that I have an anemone and some polups (sp?) that are doing fine The only part that I am confused by is that I lost a phsudochromis, and a percula that have been in the tank for awhile (over 2 months) and the third one that was lost was a yellow tang that was just added on Fri (added him because my old yellow tang had a bad incounter with the powerhead but have that problem solved)

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
You need to get a better ID on the "Chromis" sounds more like a blue damsel of some variety. Aggression leads to stress and the smaller the area vs the number the inhabitants to worse the problem is. Re: disease and the aggressor not showing signs, thats not unheard of, as the alpha fish he's pretty hardy, the stress he inflicts on the opther fish can open them up to infestations or cause them to tangle with powerheads :(

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Also what kind of clown fish is it?

Ich and some of the other diseases that could affect a fish will not have any effects on polyps or on an anenomi.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
If it is acting aggressive, I don't think it is a chromis. If I am not mistaken, the color seems to suggest a yellow damsel.

Ray

·
Registered
139 Posts
judging from the shape of the body, I'd say it looks like a dam*sel of some sort. . . is there only one? It may be myth that chromis can only survive in a school, but I do know they are much happier when they are in a school. Your "chromis" doesn't sound like its very "lonely" either, does it?

If he's the only one without nipped fins then chances are he's your aggressor, I'd take him out if I could catch it. . . good luck!

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
That fish is a yellowtail demoiselle (neopomacentrus azysron). it supposedly is not as agressive as many of the damsels, but you know how reliable damsels are for being non-aggressive... (not very).

I ID many of the fish I see in petstores myself using a book called "Marine Fishes: 500 Essential to know aquarium species" by Scott W. Michael. I dont go to the fishstore without it!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks alot guys.... I was pretty sure it was some kind of damsel when I bought it but was told over and over that it was not.... dont knowi what all of a sudden made him snap but, I will gladly knock over a couple of rocks to catch that *$%#@$ dont even think I will take him back to the store for credit.... wont give me as much gratification as watching him take the pocialin god highway.... hahahahaha

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH Its a Yellow DAMNsel! Get rid of that booger asap dude!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah come on Jimmer.... sure u dont want him.... I only work about 35 min away from Waukesha I could drop him off after work... lol

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Nonononononononono, I may ask to use ya as my Coral Mule if I ever get anything from that Coral dealer in Green Bay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts