The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow reefers I have been reading and reading about ich for the last 2 weeks now... and im sooo confused... my story is simple (i think) have a 125G with 30g sump , skimmer , 2 200w heaters and chaeto.. i have alot of coral hammers , frogspawns, montis, acans, bubbles , starpolys , zoos alot of other coral... also had (i repeat had) over 20 fish... i went one day 2 weeks ago and bought 3 new fish achilles tang , yellow tang and chocolate tang... well ich was introduced into my system apparently because 3 days after the fish were in everybody got ich... all but 2 chromys 1 red cardinal bangi and 1 rabbitfish (that has cloudy eye now) i have lost over 3k including 2 breeding pairs of clownfish, i would say the last 2 and half weeks im devastated now and been treating my tank with all sorts of things like ginger , garlic, did rally with kick ich , water changes ,blah blah blah... tried it all... so my question is basically... do i try and leave the current 4 fish in tank and not add any fish at all for 3 months? or do i remove the fish and wait 3 months and pray that the ich will be gone? i also have chaeto in sump do i remove that as well? im so confused with all the forums going on around everywhere... just need it i guess explained in simple terms any help would be greatly appericated and sorry for starting other thread on yet other ich problem.. also have 2 anomones and 3 cleaner shrimp and 1 fire shrimp thank you again in advanced

·
Sea Stang
984 Posts
Welcome to TRT. :wavey:

Simple terms, too much and too fast. Ich seems to mostly be brought on when excess stress is placed on our inhabitants. 20+ fish is a lot even in a 120g and the addition of 3 tangs at once is a heavy load on most any system. Let it run for about 2-3 months making sure you feed well and provide a stress free environment for the current survivors. Use that time to make a plan for what fish are "must haves" and study their requirements. Then rebuild slowly around that plan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to TRT. :wavey:

Simple terms, too much and too fast. Ich seems to mostly be brought on when excess stress is placed on our inhabitants. 20+ fish is a lot even in a 120g and the addition of 3 tangs at once is a heavy load on most any system. Let it run for about 2-3 months making sure you feed well and provide a stress free environment for the current survivors. Use that time to make a plan for what fish are "must haves" and study their requirements. Then rebuild slowly around that plan.
OK so I don't have to take them out just feed healthy and don't add fish for 2 to 3 months. Ok

·
Sea Stang
984 Posts
Taking them out will only cause further stress. Feed well (preferably live food such as black worms or white worms). Most fish will beat ich on their own if givin a good diet and low stress. Most systems have ich in them, it's just a matter of creating an environment where the fish are capable of staying healthy as they do in the sea. An overloaded tank or a tank too small for the fish's needs will stress them to the point that they can't fight off something like ich that wouldn't be a problem for them in their natural environment.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The confines of an aquarium also accelerate ich as well because unlike the ocean where it has vast amounts of water to travel, it has nowhere else to go but to keep circulating around your tank, infecting your fish.
I do not believe in the "ich" is always in your system. Quarantine, buy healthy fish and you'll never have it in your system.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
You added too much to that tank way too fast. unless you want to continue to waste your money on fish I would go slow and listen to prowler.

Btw... 20 fish in a 125G tank is rediculous. I would only add about 12 fish your next go around. A tang or two. Some smaller fish. Etc. read the specifications of the fish. See what kind of tank you would require to keep these fish before just throwing them into a crowded tank. A 125G tank is big, but it has its limitations. I have a 125G. The max Amount of fish I had in the tank was 12, and I thought I had a lot of fish in the tank. Just use common sense next time and do some research.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm good to know but I had my tank for 3 years and I actually upgraded to a 125g about 6 months ago before had a 72 bow front with the same 20 Fish for 2 and half years prior. ...so.... yeah.... but thanx guys..

·
Aquatic Beginner
1,427 Posts
Achillies tangs need 250 plus gallons and a very strong flow considering they come from surge zones also need pristine water and a very high o2 level. This fish is a fish you build a system in mind for not an after thought.

125g i agree 12 maybe 14 max and thats without tangs. 9 or 10 plus a yellow tang would be good. Achillies regal chocolate powder and many other tangs shouldnt be in tanks under 7 ft long.

your fish may have been "fine" in the smaller tank. Fish grow there foraging needs grow there territorial needs grow along with other factors show why sites like liveaquaria give the tank recommendations that they do research.

this hobby will not survive with the think of ill cram fish in a tank because it worked when i didnt know what i was doi g or someone else did it. Just cause a horder has 50 cats in her house and they are all living well now doesnt mean the situation doesnt snow ball. Crap builds up territories are crossed and sooner or later it falls apart

1 - 10 of 10 Posts