The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Blue Tang and a Banner fish that have come down with some ich. They are both eating and acting normal aside from the ocassional scratching on rocks. They are both in my main display mixed reef tank.

I am in the process of setting up a hospital tank so I can treat these fish using the hypo salinity method.

Now that my main tank obviously has ich in it I am wondering if transfering the fish to the hopistal tank and treating the fish then putting them back into the main display tank will be effective or will they most likley just catch ich again? Do you guys suggest I go forth with the hopistal treatment or is it just going to cause stress on them and perhaps make their conditions worse by pulling them out of the more natural enviroment of the main display tank and putting them in the hospital tank? Will it be a waste of time sense the main display tank that they will be returned is infected as well? I do have other fish in the main display tank and do not want them to get infected either so far none of them are showing any signs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had blue tang with ich and at One point he was totally covered, after a few weeks it was on the downward spiral now 10 weeks later he has a single dot on his fin I think maybe part to cleaner shrimp and his immune system. I used no chems and Im hoping he keeps on top of it himself, none of my other fish have caught it.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I had blue tang with ich and at One point he was totally covered, after a few weeks it was on the downward spiral now 10 weeks later he has a single dot on his fin I think maybe part to cleaner shrimp and his immune system. I used no chems and Im hoping he keeps on top of it himself, none of my other fish have caught it.
They probably all have it. A fish can often fight it off to the point that it is not visible on the skin but is still present in the gills and mucus membranes. Tangs are more likely to show signs since they have a thinner slimecoat.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just out of curiousity if you have a FO tank and a fish displays ICH !!! and you treat the display tank with copper would this truely remove ich from all fish or simply suppress it or something? Meaning that you still need to leave the tank fallow for 8 weeks?

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
No, the copper treatment disrupts the ich's lifecycle. If the parasite cant go thru all 4 stages it will die off.
+1. Hypo and copper actually kill ich. It is the rocks and inverts that cannot take the treatment.

·
Registered
652 Posts
+1. Hypo and copper actually kill ich. It is the rocks and inverts that cannot take the treatment.
Ok thanks alot I guess that the guy gave me some good advice when he said since im jumping from freshwae=ter to saltwater it's best to go FO gather som,e of the much needed experience and then after 6 months or so if I feel comfortable and fine with the amount of required commitment thats required to maintain a SW tank then start invbesting into the required equipment to start a reef tank.

He said that it's still different but atleast I'll have a better idea of what to expect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.