The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been treating two fish in a QT for about 21 days and need to know what is the best way to aclimate the fish back into my 12 gallon nano reef. Also the QT tank had previously been my spare water set up for the reef. Will it ever be safe to use the tank,heater, or power head for water changes again? I used Cupramine treatment and the fish are a Six Line Wrasse and a Red Headed Goby.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
There is mixed opinion on this. IMO if the equipment is throughly cleaned and rinsed, it's fine to use again. Cupramine is easily removed from the water with carbon (don't re-use the water though). Some people say that copper can absorb into the silicone in a tank... that may be so but you'd have to use potent concentrations for a very very long time for it to be an issue. As for peripheral equipment like heaters and such, I don't see any issue with using them elsewhere, just rinse them well.

If you're in doubt, fill the tank with plain water again after you strip it, let it sit for a day or two, then test for copper. That should answer your questions definitively.

HTH

Jenn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts