The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed some advice, I want to replace my bulbs and I wanted to know which are better. ushio or icecap? I need two 150 watt hqi bulbs at 10k and which is better? Or does anyone have a better bulb than these

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i wasn't aware of icecap making bulbs either.. so i guess between the two, ushio would be better :D

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
And I wasn't aware that Ushio was making ballasts....

I think you have the answer to your own question...

An Ushio 10,000K bulb on an ice cap ballast...

·
Registered
474 Posts
I would go with Ushio. I, like the others, didn't know Icecap made bulbs. I would prefer to let others test them out first and go with something I know is good. Don't get me wrong I have 2 Icecap ballasts and couldn't be happier, but ballasts and bulbs are two different things.
Steve

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I like niche market companies...

When a company has a focus on a specific product, they generally put more attention to detail into their product. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of companies that have a broad product range, but at that point, it becomes an issue of having the required resources to support the product range.

I have a 250 watt 10,000K Ushio on my 29 gallon and I couldn't be happier. I have heard others comments on them before purchasing, and I have to agree with them.

·
Reefer
264 Posts
I had the ushio 10ks...and I just ordered the Icecap 150 hqi 10k's from oceanencounter.com for 49.99 ...The will be here friday and I will be giving them a shot...I Hope they work good..I couldn't pass the price up...Alot of people that have tested them have had good luck with them...
d

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
keep me posted on them. That's why I was looking at the icecaps.....The pricw is alot better than ushios and Icecap is a good brand.

·
Reefer
264 Posts
I got the bulbs in today...I'm happy....They are a nice white with just a touch of blue...I have a geismann fixture on the right side of the tank and now that bulbs looks a little yellow compared to these...So for now I'm happy..
d
:beer:

·
Reefer
264 Posts
Working on the pics right now..just uploaded and when they get approved I'll post the pics...I have to say looking at the lights and comparing the Blv with the icecap I can't really tell a difference ---The both are about the same...
d

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
can't wait to see pics.. I would like to save a little money buying icecaps for 50 bucks instead of 70 -80 bucks for the ushios only if they are good.

·
Reefer
264 Posts
Ok the pics got approved...and yes I know the back glass has algae all over it..It's from the tank being without power for 4 days..This happened when the hurricane came into town..
I forgot to take pics with the ushio --but for the price I like these bulbs...

The first pic is left side icecap

The second pic is the right side with the blv geismann fixture..

And the last is the whole tank with the left side the icecap and the rightside the blv and nothing on in the center..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the light is def. nice and white from the icecaps. I agree the price is alot better. I think I will try out the icecaps for my fixture

1 - 18 of 18 Posts