The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here goes! Getting everything set now. Tank is placed. Most of the my equipment is together. My plan is to make this a BB SPS reef. Will be drilling my overflow and return next week. Going to be using all Marco Rock for the aquascape. Updates to come. Here's pics of the setup so far.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My tanks in the past have always had sand beds. I'm planning on going bare-bottomed on this one. Who knows though, I may change my mind and decide I want sand in it. I like the idea of not having the nutrient trap that a sand bed tends to become though.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
My tanks in the past have always had sand beds. I'm planning on going bare-bottomed on this one. Who knows though, I may change my mind and decide I want sand in it. I like the idea of not having the nutrient trap that a sand bed tends to become though.
I here that:) , I left sand a long time ago. Hope to see more pic's soon.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will be posting more for sure. A bit nervous about drilling the tank. This will be my first time drilling one. I've seen it done before and I'm pretty confident I can manage it but that confidence still doesn't help the nerves 100%.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Will be posting more for sure. A bit nervous about drilling the tank. This will be my first time drilling one. I've seen it done before and I'm pretty confident I can manage it but that confidence still doesn't help the nerves 100%.
Hey, I know the feeling but I have now drilled many. The key is keeping the glass wet and a sturdy hand. I always run the water hose over mine while drilling.:)

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, from what I've seen and heard it sounds like pretty much if you just keep the glass wet, keep as still as you can and press lightly allowing the bit to do the grinding work, everything will work out fine. I'm hoping that's the case. I'd hate to crack my tank.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good idea! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Cooling the bit and the glass is the key to success. not too much pressure and a constant cooling. let the bit do the work. And keep the drill straight, don't allow it to lean back and forth at all.
You'll do fine.

Also, if you drill from the outside in, make sure you put a towell on the glass under where you are drilling so that when the plug falls out it doesn't crash into the glass below. :)

Keep us posted.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope you have not Drilled yet. I found this Vid on YouTube you should check out. Probably what I will do on my 400 build next year. Save you $60 anyway. Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ml9sWrEvOY&feature=related
Hmmm... that's pretty cool. Much cheaper I'm sure than buying the overflow boxes to install. I was thinking of going with Glass-Holes overflow and return kits since I need to buy the glass bits anyway but I'll look at this option as well. It would definitely save me some money which is always a good thing in this hobby. One of my old LFS did something similar to this for their overflows on their main display tanks. Simple and effective.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Hey ibanez, looking good. PM if you still want a hand when you drill. I am free most weekends. Do you have all the tools needed? I have seen people use a ring of plumbers putty to make a small pool for water on the places to drill. I also have a bunch of clean spray bottles too.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey ibanez, looking good. PM if you still want a hand when you drill. I am free most weekends. Do you have all the tools needed? I have seen people use a ring of plumbers putty to make a small pool for water on the places to drill. I also have a bunch of clean spray bottles too.
Hey, thanks man. Yeah, I'll probably need a hand so I'll send a PM. Going to have to move the tank out to drill it and moving it is a pain. It's gotta be close to 150 lbs. Like moving a glass sofa!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tagging along man, looking forward to seeing the progress!!

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, I've got a plan all together now. Going to be doing this build a bit slow because I have to wait for funds to become available as I go along. The plan right now is to have the entire system plumbed, tested, and ready to bring online by the end of September. I'll document the whole process here for anyone interested in following or checking it out in the future.

1 - 20 of 268 Posts