The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Learn something every day
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a salt tank guy for only about 5 years. I have had some very surprising success stories, A Manderine for 4 years and my RIP :bawling: Sea Apple for the whole time until last month. My tank is very bare, as I am on a fixed income. I have never been able to keep a "Soft" coral ie Polyps, Xenia, Kenya Tree, You get the idea. Well I won a prize from my LFS the other day, Unfortunately it was my wife that went to the store that day to pick up some food and they gave it to her. It is a beautiful Blue Xenia. My elation was short lived. We put it in the tank hoping for the best, It retracted the first day as I expected but seemed to be ok, although still retracted the next couple of days. And then I saw it happen. One of my original fish 5 years ago was this cute blue damsel, well he is now nearly 6 inches long and not so cute, but I am not as cute and small as I was 50 yeas ago either and no one got rid of me. I saw him ripping chunks of the Xenia out and then just spit it out. It took my son and his friend 6 hours to catch him they took him to a LFS and I think they fed him to something, they didn't really want him. But now 2 weeks later the Xenia is doing very well and my brain that has never thrived is all puffy and happy the other fish are happy and I am happy. I will get some photos of my happy tank as soon as my son gets back from vacation with my camera

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Nice to hear... the more i am seeing lately (even my own experience) damsels are not good in any reef tank because they will pick at most soft coral.

good riddance... they do make good feeders and are much cleaner than some of the other options

1 - 8 of 8 Posts