The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went BB :dance:

Hi my name is Mike

In my pursuit to have a efficient setup to export nutrients from my sps reef crest tank a.s.a.p. (Remove organic compounds & prevent inorganic compounds)

I went bare bottom.

I was fortunate enough to find TRT yay!!!
And Geoffs thread "Reefkeeping made easy- what was not explained."
Man I wish I found this a year ago.
Why? Well for the first time it was explained to me in a manner that finally makes sense and I'm not doing something to my tank because that's the way I was told it needed to be done.

It really is liberating and I want to thank Geoff,Doc,Spanky and all the others that have contributed to this thread and the explanation and understanding of the thought process behind BB and DSB.

My setup:

I am currently running a 120 reef , sps dominant tank for about a year now.
I started out with live rock and 3 inch live sand bed.

I am currently dosing B-ionics w/BRS dosers for Ca & Alk.
I'm using Red Sea Pro salt and have yet needed to add Mag.
GFO BRS reactor.(still on the fence about this I need to do some more reading/learning)
Carbon BRS reactor.

Levels are:
Cal=420
Alk=9 DKH
Mag 1400

Temp 76.2~77.4
PH 7.85~8.00

Flow:
2x Mp40,s
2x Mp10,s
1 6045 Tunzi
3 Maxi Jet 1200
Mag 2400 as my return.(manifold back to skimmer for double skim)
Returns are Herby method with 1 inch returns on each side that are split into two 3/4 lock line for each side.

Skimmer :ASM-G3
Apex-Neptune Controller.
4 AiSol with T5 supplement lighting
Tunzi ATO

Bio load:
1- Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
1- Mystery Wrasse
1- Watchman Gobi
1- Sailfin/Algae Blenny
1- Royal Grammar
1- Picasso Clownfish
2- Blue/Green chromis
3- Maldives Lyretail Anthias

I was running a 40 breeder as a sump,refugium with 4 inch sand and trying to grow chato.

I have since removed my sandbed, chato and fuge.
I re- plumbed my tank and I now have a 40 breeder as a sump(holds 20 gal) for my skimmer and before that I incorporated a 35 Gallon Total Drain Rectangle settling
tank with a conical bottom to remove detritus as soon as possible from my system (Remove organic compounds & prevent inorganic compounds ;)

I have no interest in having poop as a pet or feeding alge,micro alge,pods or anything except the higher up's ;)

And yes it was a light bulb moment for me ;)

Thank you!!!
MikeC

My setteling tank:
I originally wanted to go with a cylinder type like Geoff's but opted for the larger volum and 28 inch length, figured the detritus would have more time to settel? That and I didn't have enough hight under my stand ;)

I got my board from
http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/
Great customer service and they had it to me in one day :)

Tank Before shot

Man this was a long day.

THANK YOU!!
MikeC

·
Super Moderator
22,167 Posts
Nice setup you got there :thumbup:
Always nice to check out pics of a great tank.
Glad to hear that TRT helped you out too :bow:

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Wow. You had a beautiful tank before. I can't wait to see it in about 6 months!

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Fine work there, Mike. You did get some great advice and information from some of the best but you've done your due diligence and the credit for the results is yours. :thumbup:

Dick:)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I went BB :dance:

Hi my name is Mike

In my pursuit to have a efficient setup to export nutrients from my sps reef crest tank a.s.a.p. (Remove organic compounds & prevent inorganic compounds)

I went bare bottom.

I was fortunate enough to find TRT yay!!!
And Geoffs thread "Reefkeeping made easy- what was not explained."
Man I wish I found this a year ago.
Why? Well for the first time it was explained to me in a manner that finally makes sense and I'm not doing something to my tank because that's the way I was told it needed to be done.

It really is liberating and I want to thank Geoff,Doc,Spanky and all the others that have contributed to this thread and the explanation and understanding of the thought process behind BB and DSB.

My setup:

I am currently running a 120 reef , sps dominant tank for about a year now.
I started out with live rock and 3 inch live sand bed.

I am currently dosing B-ionics w/BRS dosers for Ca & Alk.
I'm using Red Sea Pro salt and have yet needed to add Mag.
GFO BRS reactor.(still on the fence about this I need to do some more reading/learning)
Carbon BRS reactor.

Levels are:
Cal=420
Alk=9 DKH
Mag 1400

Temp 76.2~77.4
PH 7.85~8.00

Flow:
2x Mp40,s
2x Mp10,s
1 6045 Tunzi
3 Maxi Jet 1200
Mag 2400 as my return.(manifold back to skimmer for double skim)
Returns are Herby method with 1 inch returns on each side that are split into two 3/4 lock line for each side.

Skimmer :ASM-G3
Apex-Neptune Controller.
4 AiSol with T5 supplement lighting
Tunzi ATO

Bio load:
1- Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
1- Mystery Wrasse
1- Watchman Gobi
1- Sailfin/Algae Blenny
1- Royal Grammar
1- Picasso Clownfish
2- Blue/Green chromis
3- Maldives Lyretail Anthias

I was running a 40 breeder as a sump,refugium with 4 inch sand and trying to grow chato.

I have since removed my sandbed, chato and fuge.
I re- plumbed my tank and I now have a 40 breeder as a sump(holds 20 gal) for my skimmer and before that I incorporated a 35 Gallon Total Drain Rectangle settling
tank with a conical bottom to remove detritus as soon as possible from my system (Remove organic compounds & prevent inorganic compounds ;)

I have no interest in having poop as a pet or feeding alge,micro alge,pods or anything except the higher up's ;)

And yes it was a light bulb moment for me ;)

Thank you!!!
MikeC

My setteling tank:
I originally wanted to go with a cylinder type like Geoff's but opted for the larger volum and 28 inch length, figured the detritus would have more time to settel? That and I didn't have enough hight under my stand ;)

I got my board from
http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/
Great customer service and they had it to me in one day :)

Tank Before shot

Man this was a long day.

THANK YOU!!
MikeC
+1 Geoff and Doc helped me out a lot..

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Looking Fantastic!!

where did you get that type settling tank? some are looking at integrating the settling tank with the sump, and that thing looks like it could be promising for that fact, but also because it is square instead of round for stands. Great find!!

TRT is fantastic!!

G~

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking Fantastic!!

where did you get that type settling tank? some are looking at integrating the settling tank with the sump, and that thing looks like it could be promising for that fact, but also because it is square instead of round for stands. Great find!!

TRT is fantastic!!

G~
Thanks Geoff I got mine here
http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/2788/35-gallon-total-drain-rectangle-tank-sp0035-rt

They also have a 56 gal if you have the room
http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/2789/56-gallon-total-drain-rectangle-tank-sp0056-rt

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Thanks for the shout-out. But I got to agree with FishDaddy:

Fine work there, Mike. You did get some great advice and information from some of the best but you've done your due diligence and the credit for the results is yours. :thumbup:

Dick:)
Take the credit, your tank is awesome!

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Thanks Doc :)
You are making me want to set up my 120g tank again. I am definitely going that cutting board if I go BB again. How did you get it to fit and did the board come -precut for the overflows notches?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are making me want to set up my 120g tank again. I am definitely going that cutting board if I go BB again. How did you get it to fit and did the board come -precut for the overflows notches?
Lol set it up!
I ordered it 45 1/2 x 21 1/2 with just the top rounded over.
I used the cardboard it came wrapped in to make a template.
I cut out a piece 45 1/2 x 21 1/2 and laid it on top of the overflow ,stuck my hand under with a pencil and traced the over flow,added a inch to that to clear the silicon and cut it out with a jig saw.

That's it :)

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Dang, it looked like the overflow cut outs were professionally done by the cutting board company. Nice work! Does you 120 have a center brace?

I am working on setting it up ;) I am moving out of the district and hopefully, I will be able to get it out of storage when the funds become available. I want to completely overhaul my tank so it is going to cost a few grand and I need to get some of that college debt paid off first (or the wife will murder me).

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Awesome.... bookmarking for future reference. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 123 Posts