The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 57 gal reef 18 1/4" tall. Right now I have 36 W PC light that only extends half the tank. (opps big mistake). Any way I have been looking at t-5 lighting. I am torn between a 4 light nova or a four light tek. can any body give me input as to which system will be better for my money?

Also who adds the squid under my name and how does it get changed?

:blob:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
beginner corals, some stony corals but i dont know what ones, and inverts,

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
for the basics you will want 5 watts of light per gallon so the standard VHO is the best bulb for a newer setup. If you plan on doing metal halide later, i would recommend that you just save up a little longer and get them now. then you don't lose the money when you have to upgrade later.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
36" long X 18.25" tall X 24" deep

also i had VHO in a previous tank. I have read that the newer lights use less elecrticity.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
the amount of electricity is really all based on the ballast. electronic ballast are a bit more efficient than magnetic or tar, but not a huge amount. it would take like 10yrs to see any cost benefit from using electronic ballasts.

G~

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the tank has been up for 2 months has about 5 fish (small ones) two mushroom polps, 50 blue crabs, 10 snails, one red star fish, one serpent star, and a partrige in a pare tree. The goal is to establish the tank with out any severe losses before we start the large tank.

The VHO ballast was an Ice Cap. On and old 75 gal that my ex-fiancee got when i boogied.

after some research I have leaned heavly towrd the nova t-5 4 bulb lighting.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
which icecap ballast? those can handle a fair number of bulbs. you may be able to add more bulbs to that ballast and not even know it. there is a total wattage rating on the ballast. you can add as many bulbs as you want up to that wattage. it might be cheaper for you to use th Icecap instead of getting a new fixture.

G~

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes But The Ex Got That

1 - 11 of 11 Posts