The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has a nice picture of a SPS tank under t5 lighting.
Is there such a thing??
All the ones I have seen are dulll brown. without much color.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has a nice picture of a SPS tank under t5 lighting.
Is there such a thing??
All the ones I have seen are dulll brown. without much color.
It's usually bulb choice and improper setting of the white balance. The proper bulb choices IMO make for a very colorful reef;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
That's the only thing that confuses me...people say T-5's are on par with MH but you have to use 8 bulbs that come close to the price of MH bulbs and do need to be replaced about the same time. It also does seem much darker

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was talking about crvz (he said he had 8), but 4 overdriven bulbs will kill the life of it...which brings up another point of the price!

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
That's the only thing that confuses me...people say T-5's are on par with MH but you have to use 8 bulbs that come close to the price of MH bulbs and do need to be replaced about the same time. It also does seem much darker
You need to look at them in person. That picture is rather underexposed. I actually find that T5 are brighter than MH tanks, mostly because it's much harder to create shaded areas due to the light coming out of the length of the bulb, unlike a point source light from MH.

Also, T5 bulbs should have, on average, twice the life of MH bulbs, make it easier to maintain tank temperature, and give you the ability to really play with the color of the tank.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Um nice Metal halide pic but I think we got a little off subject.
This is not one of those t5 vs metal halide threads
I have t-5 and I was wanting alot of sps coral and hopefully a nice colorful tank

crvz do you run a phosphate reactor on yours

Oh yeah reefermic1 nice tank as well good color

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks guys I a getting more motivated now.
its just that my monti caps started looking so colorful now they are bland. I guess I need to explore other options like flow and phosphate.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Looks very pretty! I guess I'm more subjective to the ocean-like shimmer of MH. I would def go T-5 but all the prices for the kits I would need (which I heard were 6 bulbs or higher) were priced $400 before the bulbs

1 - 20 of 51 Posts