The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I have. Button polyps, Kenya tree, candy cane trumpet, shelf coral. 55 gal tank 20 gal sump (1/2 full give or take). My question is about lighting. I'm using a marineland LED light. When it's on there is a mix of white and blue on one setting and blue only on the other. You can't program it to switch you have to manually switch it. I have a very random schedule so I have been thinking about putting the light on a timer. However if I'm not home I can't switch from white to blue.

1. Is the solo actinic light important?
2. If it is can I use a shop light with an actinic bulb?
3. Do I need to buy another light to be able to supply the necessary blue light?
4. Or can I go from a white and blue mix to lights out?
5. What would be the effects?

I know it's a lot but your input will be helpful. I need to get my tank on a good cycle.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The Marineland led lights are really just for fish viewing, they are .6 watts each, for corals you need 3 watts each. Polyps and some low light Mushrooms might be ok under them but outside of that they arnt for reef keeping.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
So what do you recommend I get?
well that all depends on your budget and what do you want to keep. In led lighting I say get more than you need as it can be dailed up or down for the future upgrades. If you can let us know the above 2 items, Im sure you will get lots of suggestions in your price range, In general you want 3 watt led's and Crees are pretty much considered the best. But there are a lot of people who rein the line of Ebay lights that are reasonable and Im sure will chime in, I run 2x160 Maxspect razors on my 125

·
Registered
457 Posts
reefradiance is also a good light and not expensive at all. I have one of their fixtures and love it

Posted from Thereeftank.com App for Android

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Marineland led lights are really just for fish viewing, they are .6 watts each, for corals you need 3 watts each. Polyps and some low light Mushrooms might be ok under them but outside of that they arnt for reef keeping.
I have to somewhat disagree, I have marine land reef capable light over my tank (for about 2 yrs now), and all my corals are doing very well. Pretty much softies and lps, sps don't do well. I have mushrooms, green star polyps, Kenya trees, zoa's, montis, a couple rbta's, a hammer coral, and some others.

To say they won't grow corals is not a true statement!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have to somewhat disagree, I have marine land reef capable light over my tank (for about 2 yrs now), and all my corals are doing very well. Pretty much softies and lps, sps don't do well. I have mushrooms, green star polyps, Kenya trees, zoa's, montis, a couple rbta's, a hammer coral, and some others.

To say they won't grow corals is not a true statement!
Their most powerful LEDs are 1 watt, it's not my opinion, it is a fact, low light corals only. Have no idea what yr rbta look like, how long you had them, ect. Or what size is you tank, but .6-1 watt is not long tearm capable of sustaining med to high light requirements.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Their most powerful LEDs are 1 watt, it's not my opinion, it is a fact, low light corals only. Have no idea what yr rbta look like, how long you had them, ect. Or what size is you tank, but .6-1 watt is not long tearm capable of sustaining med to high light requirements.

Hey they r working out pretty well for me, have a 48" fixture over a 75 gal. By they way. Rbta's are doing great for about a year now as well as all the other corals that I listed. Just thought I'd let the OP know that it is possible to use these lights over a reef tank, despite popular belief .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts