The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
i want all the fish
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,everyone

i am rookie on this reef keeping thing and also new to this forum. i want to convert my tank into a reef.it is a 120 gal.i it has a power compact lights from jebo 4-55 watts actinics.wut would be the perfect light for it .wut other other stuff i need 2 add 2 have a good reefs.i have a protein skimmer,wetdry filter, predrilledoverflow..about 100 lbs of live rock.i also have 2 red emperor snappers,cherry grouper and a gold stripe gouper for sale.please i need help.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Welcome to TRT!
The best advice that I can give you (as much as you probably don't want to hear this) is to take your time! spend a week or so reading the various threads on this site. The information you can gather here, in such a short time is amazing!!!

When you say: "I want to convert my tank to a reef, what kind of light and other stuff would be best?" Is a verry loaded question, You first need to know what exactly you want to keep in the tank, then make your decisions based on that information.

- What kind of skimmer do you have?
- what kind of set up do you currently have in the 120?
- What types of SPS, LPS, soft corals, and fish do you want to keep? This will verry well dictate what kind of lighting and other equipment you will need.

But once again,... I cannot stress enough how important and informative it will be if you spend some time reading all of the valuable information that is in this place!!

If you have any questions feel free to ask!!!

Once again, welcome to TRT!!!
DaveTheReefGeek.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,660 Posts
:wavey:Welcome to TRT!:wavey:Need to hear your answers to Dave to help.One thing you cancan get rid of the dry section of your wetdry and make it into a sump,since you have some Live Rock.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Ditto to all the above...In deciding what you want to keep bear in mind that while SPS are very cool they can be more demanding especially if you have no experience keeping corals. IMO you can have a very nice reef by picking some good hardy soft corals and LPS corals. Lighting for these is less expensive to obtain and run and you won't have as much trouble keeping the tank cool with something like a T-5 setup. If you have your heart set on keeping SPS (even down the road) then you might just want to bight the bullet and get the high powered lighting up front.

Just some thoughts.

Oh, and even though I've not been around here long either, welcome to TRT and the hobby of reef keeping. As they say "once you go reef, you'll never go back." Ok, so that's not exactly what they say, but you get the idea!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ask yourself how deep your pocket is first then figure out the corals... ;)

1) Figure out if you have ever used copper or any ich treatment in the current tank. If so you'll have a hard time with coral due to the copper, and may need some heavy duty chelators.
2) Figure out what kind of corals you really like whether it be SPS, LPS, or softies.

Also if you are planning go reef, you'll probably want to get rid of the wet-dry sump and possibly get a bigger skimmer if you dont have a good one. Ask questions away and TAKE YOUR TIME... quick moves on a reef tank will kill things. The reef thrives on "stability"

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
welcome to TRT.
the responses from everyone are very good.

i have a question on the size of the fish in there now.
also what were you feeding and how often?
reasoning; those guys tend to eat and poop a good amount. so the substrate and live rock in your tank many be filled up already. in reef tanks the Live rock and skimmer are the main filters for the whole tank.

take a look at this article i think it will help you out a lot.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sounds like you are already well on your way. Obviously, your current inhabitants are less reef friendly. How long have you had that tank setup? Anything already "volunteering" on the current Live Rock? Your lighting will probably support some top water LPS and Softies though you'll have a very Brown look.

Will your LFS take trades on your fish? (Store Credit?)

AS everyone else has already said, take your time. You'll want to get your water tested pretty thoroughly at a reputable LFS and perhaps report your findings. My guess with the Wet/Dry and the FOWLR tank that your Phosphates and Nitrates are going to be high.

Let us know how everything progresses....and WELCOME to TRT!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

:wavey:

why are you getting rid of the fish? those fish are coral safe. they may eat shrimp and some crustaceans, but they will not harm corals.

your lighting is fine for trying something like some zoas and mushrooms. if you are wanting more than these than stronger lighting will be needed. my wife had a predatory reef at one time. it had a grouper, zebra moray, and an antennata lionfish. the LR was covered with zoas.

G~

·
i want all the fish
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tanx to all who replied

i have 1 soft corals in there,orange color polyps and soft coral branch that looks like it grows already.my tank is been running for about 7 months now.i want to keep some soft corals,anemones family,maybe lps and hopefully some sps hard corals.i dont knoe if i can mix them all together.i have 6 inches cherrry gouper,5 inches,gold line grouper and a7 inches red emperror snapper.somebody told me 2 turn my wte dry 2 sump.how do i do that.im not sure wut kind of skimmer i have but its prtety big.i also add calcium balance a&b,iodine, Kent Marine Strontium and Molybdenum.i have a 4x55 power compacs light.i will take agood look wut kind of skimmer i got...
<TABLE height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
With regular water changes, you probably don't need to supplement iodine, strontium or molybdenum. :) Are you testing for them?

·
Registered
579 Posts
i have 1 soft corals in there,orange color polyps and soft coral branch that looks like it grows already.my tank is been running for about 7 months now.i want to keep some soft corals,anemones family,maybe lps and hopefully some sps hard corals.i dont knoe if i can mix them all together.i have 6 inches cherrry gouper,5 inches,gold line grouper and a7 inches red emperror snapper.somebody told me 2 turn my wte dry 2 sump.how do i do that.im not sure wut kind of skimmer i have but its prtety big.i also add calcium balance a&b,iodine, Kent Marine Strontium and Molybdenum.i have a 4x55 power compacs light.i will take agood look wut kind of skimmer i got...
What are the dimentions of your tank?
The lighting you have will accomodate everything that you want to keep in the tank. Except for the SPS. I would not do it without adding some more intense lighting. As far at the fish you currently have, I believe that they would all be reef safe. I would wait to hear input on this matter from a few more people here.

What type of skimmer is it that you have (needle wheel, vent, becket...)
If you could post some images of your current setup & equipment it would help to make a better idea for others to help you out.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I use to be lazy with WC...since I started doing about 5%-10% every 4 or 5 days my corals look awesome. They open fuller and have better color. It sounds like a pain, but 5% of my 100gals is only 5 gals :doh:. It takes all of 10mins to suck out 5gals and put 5gals of new SW back in (unless I'm cleaning at the same time). It keeps my trace elements up and all I ever have to dose is Kalk.

Not for everyone, but if you can work it into your schedule I highly recommend it.

I guess the thought is smaller more frequent WC are better than less frequent big ones (and IMO easier in the long run since you never have to mix up large batches of SW).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts