The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting itchy for a new fish again... still wanting a blenny...

38g tank
2 seahorses
2 pj cardinals
1 firefish
3 peppermint shrimp
2 scarlet reef hermies
assorted snails
2 feather dusters
pulsing xenia
pom pom xenia
assorted zoos
assorted 'shrooms
GSP
white pipe organ

so, what would you add? I'd love an algae eater, but it can't be too aggressive with the horses and gentle fish that I have.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
I'm totally "Seahorse Ignorant", but I thought that you couldn't have other creatures with them because the horses are slow eaters and anything else would be competing for their food. No? :read:

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a bi-color is what I was thinking. The sandbed is only about an inch and a half. My tank is stocked with pods and live mysid for the horses and they hunt all day. I have not target fed them in months and they're doing just fine (I can hear the seahorse people stroking now). I feed frozen mysis every 3 or 4 days for the fish and shrimp.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i saw a flame tail blenny at a lfs, it looked very similar to a bi color, just better colors. i would look into those, or a royal gramma.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The mandaring will be a bad choice for this tank.
A Rainsford goby may be better since they are shy and peacefull. Eats some algie.

·
Registered
375 Posts
DaviesPats said:
mandarin?...i love the color of those fish but im sure they'd wipe out the pod pop. in no time with all the others you have in there
I think a mandarin would wipe out the pod population even if there weren't any other inhabitants in a 38 gallon tank.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh, I am like everyone else in that I adore the mandarins, but no, I won't put one in this tank... too small and it would be direct competition with the horses for food.
My favorite lfs has bicolors, and he wants some frags... they actually want small frags for the many nano customers that they have. I have a xenia that I've been getting ready for them, and I have a small frag of the pipe organ but I would want a good price for that... and various shrooms too.
Maybe this weekend I'll take a ride into town with my frags and pics of them in their glory since frags look so icky when they're bagged up!

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not sure? I'm staying away from the lawnmowers cuz they could get a little "sucky" with the horses. What about a 6-line? Will that hurt corals or dusters?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
hey!! yea fire fish would be a great one. or a neon goby if you want something super small, i was also looking at a midas blenny online, not sure about its needs and such. but they sure are cool.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Loverotties said:
Bi-coler blenny are cool fish.
I have a bicolor blenny. He is really a cool fish. Always the first to come out and see who's there when i walk up to the tank. On the other hand, he's a little on the agressive side. Not "damsel mean" or anything. But he tends to put newcomers in there place a few times until he gets used to them. He still picks at my brittle star once in a while though and its been in the tank longer than he has.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Whatever you get DebsSisterFlo... post some pics please. You have an awesome tank, I can't wait to see some updates on it.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmm... a midas blenny? They're not diggers are they? Neon goby? Pic please! I already have a firefish, and two pj cardinals... cute, but you know how it is, I want something new! Gotta get back to work now, 8 down, 4 to go!

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
DebsSisterFlo said:
hmm... a midas blenny? They're not diggers are they? Neon goby? Pic please! I already have a firefish, and two pj cardinals... cute, but you know how it is, I want something new! Gotta get back to work now, 8 down, 4 to go!
Nope not a digger, they aren't algae eaters either though so they swim around alot. Less assertive than the bi-color blennies also

1 - 19 of 19 Posts