The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I walked into my LFS today since they get shipments every weds. I don't like buying from them any later than weds since the tank/water quality isn't always the best and it seems that they always have the hardest time in the world keeping coral/fish alive.

Any way, I was browsing around and saw what I thought to be that type of angelfish that looks like a moorish idol, did a double take, and looked closer only to realize it was a moorish idol. What's up with that, you would think that if the owner knows there is a problem with his tanks, being that things are always dieing, he wouldn't purchase one of the most difficult fish to take care of, at least in my books.

Kinda cruel if you ask me since there is absolutely no source of sponges in the tank he was being kept in. Just a couple of rocks with no apparent growth of algae.

Upsetting

Luke

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
It does stink. odds are he got a good deal and figured someone would come buy it off him before it dies in his tank. you never know, it may have been a custom order too.

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
i would be afraid to "order" a fish sight unseen. i thought the universal rule of thumb is to watch, observe and watch some more the fish you intend on buying to make sure he is eating etc.

ANGRY GARY

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
angry gary said:
i would be afraid to "order" a fish sight unseen. i thought the universal rule of thumb is to watch, observe and watch some more the fish you intend on buying to make sure he is eating etc.

ANGRY GARY
That is the ideal. If you have a good LFS They will order for you and hold it to make sure it's healthy and eating before you buy it

·
Registered
366 Posts
angry gary said:

ANGRY GARY
With certain fish (like Morish Idols) it's best to take them home as soon as possible so that they have the best chance of servival. I ordered three morish idols and only ended up getting one as that was all the could get at the time but I was lucky and he was niping at algea as soon as my lfs put him in their tank. I picked him up two hours after he came in to the lfs and took over an hour to drip aclimate him to my tank and he's still doing great, but my tank has algea and sponge on the rocks for him to eat and I feed sheet algea and pellet food that almost all fish go ape over.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Scyre said:
So I walked into my LFS today since they get shipments every weds. I don't like buying from them any later than weds since the tank/water quality isn't always the best and it seems that they always have the hardest time in the world keeping coral/fish alive.

Upsetting

Luke
This is going to sound harsh - no offence intended but I'm going to tell it like it is.

Apparently this store has enough customers who think like you, that they can 'turn and burn' livestock faster than it can perish in their tanks. Doesn't matter if the fish they're selling is hardy or not - once it leaves their care, custody and control, it's somebody else's problem and they have the money in the bank. Some unsuspecting fool will buy the Moorish Idol - it can be the "Gill" to complete their "Finding Nemo" tank :rolleyes:

Customers like YOU keep stores like THEM in business - and that *I* find upsetting. I'm sure you don't mean any harm, but you're the reason that places like that survive. People stop buying on 'fish day', too many fish die in their care, the law of simple economics will kick in and they'll either change their focus, or go out of business. Sure you may be "saving" a fish today, but how many more will die at their hands if people keep supporting them? That is upsetting. Deaths occur in the business and the hobby - but fish aren't disposable. We all owe it to the creatures we keep, to do the best we can to keep them healthy and thriving.

If they have 'the hardest time in the world' keeping stuff alive - they shouldn't be keeping stuff at all :(

I hold my fish for 5 days minimum. That way if it's going to show disease, post-shipping stress etc., it shows up on MY watch, not the customer's.

If a store can't/won't do that, they shouldn't be supported.

Bringing in a Moorish Idol is bad enough ... but all the other perfectly adaptable fish that die also, is worse, IMO.

I'll get off my soap box now...

Jenn

·
Registered
317 Posts
Doug1 said:
sadly a lot of stuff that shouldnt gets sold everyday
Based on what I normally see, 1/2 of the purchases of one LFS here fits into that category.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Are there fish that look like moorish idols? I never even knew what one was until Jenn referred to it as "Gill". I have seen that fish at my LFS many times or at least something like it. Many of the fish displays have nothing in them as far as live rock, some don't even have sand. I really hope I am mistaken and that there is a fish that just looks alot like them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JennM, I'm sorry if you think that I'm the source of the problem, but please notice that I didn't buy anything from this store, haven't now for almost 7 months.

The tank/water quality didn't always use to be horid, back in the day, it use to be one of the coolest LFSs that I new of. It just seems over the course of a week things went to the crapper and just fell apart. . .algae explosions, fish breathing problems, ich, etc. I think he's trying to work his way back, but it's just not happening.

The reason i go in on "fish day" as you put it, is so I can actually see different types of species and learn. I spent three hours in this place yesterday, just looking at the fish/coral, trying to remember normal and scientific names. If I come any later in the week, all his new stuff is gone and I'm left with pictures again.

By no means am I supporting his buisness right now, I would never jepordize my tank with the inhabitants he's selling . . . . just to risky

jenajet - the fish I was thinking of wasn't a angelfish, it was a butterfly fish, I personally think it lookst very similar to the moorish idol - minus the yellow

here's a link:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=242&N=0

apparently, moorish idols have been known to swim in groups with these fish.

Luke

·
I got brains!!
1,523 Posts
One of the LFS to me will hold a new speciman for me for at least a week or so, so I can make sure if survives the shipping/acclimating process. And also to see if any diseases come forward.

They have done this 2 times now, when I have purchased fish. I commend them for this and hope other LFS will do the same for other reefers out there.

just my .02

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The only LFS in town that sell saltwater fish is always nasty. All their tanks, including the FW are always cloudy, don't have enough light and it is just nasty to go in there. So most of the timeI have to either drive 2 1/2hrs to go see a fish or have to order on-line, an unseen fish. But I rather do this that to buy any animal from the nasty LFS. The owner has offered to order fish for me but I would not want them to accidently put it on their tanks. The only way I would consider buying from them is if they leave my fish in the shipping bag and it never makes it in to their water.

angry gary said:

ANGRY GARY

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
JennM said:
This is going to sound harsh - no offence intended but I'm going to tell it like it is.

Apparently this store has enough customers who think like you, that they can 'turn and burn' livestock faster than it can perish in their tanks. Doesn't matter if the fish they're selling is hardy or not - once it leaves their care, custody and control, it's somebody else's problem and they have the money in the bank. Some unsuspecting fool will buy the Moorish Idol - it can be the "Gill" to complete their "Finding Nemo" tank :rolleyes:

Customers like YOU keep stores like THEM in business - and that *I* find upsetting. I'm sure you don't mean any harm, but you're the reason that places like that survive. People stop buying on 'fish day', too many fish die in their care, the law of simple economics will kick in and they'll either change their focus, or go out of business. Sure you may be "saving" a fish today, but how many more will die at their hands if people keep supporting them? That is upsetting. Deaths occur in the business and the hobby - but fish aren't disposable. We all owe it to the creatures we keep, to do the best we can to keep them healthy and thriving.

If they have 'the hardest time in the world' keeping stuff alive - they shouldn't be keeping stuff at all :(

I hold my fish for 5 days minimum. That way if it's going to show disease, post-shipping stress etc., it shows up on MY watch, not the customer's.

If a store can't/won't do that, they shouldn't be supported.

Bringing in a Moorish Idol is bad enough ... but all the other perfectly adaptable fish that die also, is worse, IMO.

I'll get off my soap box now...

Jenn
I totally agree with this statement. Just say NO. They will either stop selling fish and concentrate on catnip or clean up their act.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Actually I did also see a real live Moorish Idol in one of the LFS that many of us visit from time to time in MN. It was looking pretty horrible and it was for sale ($99.00 I think it was). Stomach was shrunken in, fins were torn, and it was not very active at all.

I practically stand there and stare at it for close to 20 minutes, looking at it from head to tail fin over and over. It was pretty sad.

Beng

·
Registered
414 Posts
Haha...Thank you.

My family own alot of live stocks when I was young in the old country.
My job was to feed the cows salt treats.

I swear, salt is like crack to cows :)

Beng

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Uh, Jenn. Stop speed reading posts.

Scyre said:
Any way, I was browsing around and saw what I thought to be that type of angelfish that looks like a moorish idol, did a double take, and looked closer only to realize it was a moorish idol. What's up with that, you would think that if the owner knows there is a problem with his tanks, being that things are always dieing, he wouldn't purchase one of the most difficult fish to take care of, at least in my books.

Kinda cruel if you ask me since there is absolutely no source of sponges in the tank he was being kept in. Just a couple of rocks with no apparent growth of algae.

Upsetting

Luke
Luke, a lot of time wholesalers will substitute something they are out of for something else, just to fill a box. The LFS could be innocent too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts