The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My button polys have been doing great, but now, i have about 7-8 "dead" ones. When i get close to them, all the other ones close up, except for those few. They look a little shriveled up and brown. i don't think anything is eating them or messing with them, and all my water params are good. So what could be wrong?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They weren't like this until i did my water change yesterday. I used new salt, and i only waited a few hours after mixing the salt to add it to the tank, so could this be the reason? I know this was really stupid, but i really needed the water change.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm a newbie myself, but I'll give it a shot if no one else will. Going by logic only, I would say if the only thing that happened is you did a water change and the problem happened right after, it must have something to do with that (or just annoying irony). The fact that you used new salt and didn't let it mix for very long makes me think that the reason could easily be that they were 'shocked' by the sudden change.

You do have to remember that all salt mixes are different, and to acclimate each organism to a different environment, you must go slow. I don't know if it's the right way, but what I do when I'm making a change during a water change is I have a ball valve on the return pump, I close it so much that it just "trickles" into the tank for atleast 30 min-1hr depending on how drastic of a change (all the new water change happens in the sump, so the sump has the new water).

Don't know how good that is for a pump (have heard it's not too bad, same effect as a lot of head on a pump), but my reasoning is the livestock will take about that long to acclimate to a new tank anyway, so it shouldn't be any more shocking to them than acclimating them to a new location.

As for why yours aren't doing well, are they continuing to die or did they just have a few die and the rest seem fine? If they are still dying, you may need to go over all of your parameters with a fine tooth comb and see what, if anything, is out of line. My next guess after that would possibly be a bad batch or brand of salt.

Those are my guesses though. I'm a complete newb, so be careful with any advice I give, I'm just trying to help out since there haven't been any responses so far!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx. but those few suddenly died today, after the water change yesterday. But they'll proabably be fine in a few days once the changes settle down, right? But somehow, even though a few died or dying, the rest seemed to have brightened. kind of weird. but thx for responding. anyone else have anything?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Button polyps are extremely hardy.I don't think they are dying. Is everything else looking good. They might just have some sand or debris in them. Blow them off with a turkey b. or turn them upside down and shake them out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, i moved them around, and they closed again. but there's still a few that i think are dead or dying. but they've shrunk a little bit too. maybe because of the new salt and water change? But since i moved them, they haven't opened for about an hour, but they should be ok in a few days at the most, right? i really hope so.because they were growing extremely well beofre i swtiched salts.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Whenever it comes to zoanthids, my first guess for closed up polyps is a parasite. Either nudibranchs, sundial snails or zoanthid spiders. A freshwater dip and close inspection will usually turn up one of these guys.

Another common problem is zoa pox. It looks like white dots on the body of the polyp. This can be treated with Furan 2.
http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php

The water change factor is also something to consider. Was there any chance that salt particles made it into the tank and landed on the polyps? When you say that you used new salt, do you mean that you switched brands of salt or it's just newly mixed salt?

I always advocate at least 24 hours of mixing before using saltwater. Regardless of the reasons or contrary opinions, it's a safe practice with no negative side effects. If patience is the key to being successful in this hobby then using newly mixed saltwater right away doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I switched salt and used it only after a few hours, because i overfed my fish with brine shrimp, and was worried that it would affect my tank. it was pretty stupid, and i'm pretty new to this. but that's no excuse really. i usually wait about 36 hours before mixing, because i mix it on thursday night, and change the water on saturday afternoon. they're opening, but some are shriveled up and brown, but the whole thing has shrunk a little

·
Registered
584 Posts
Overfeeding, while not a great thing to do, shouldn't require you to do a quick water change like that. That's kindof adding problems to problems at that point. The problem with overfeeding is you will be generating too many nutrients in the water for bad things to grow.

I wouldn't sweat it, from what I've seen (and experienced) zoas are very hardy. Just keep looking for the problem and once it's cured they should grow back. If it was due to changing the salt too drastically, that's an easy way to learn that lesson. You could have done much more damage, so I'd just chalk it up to experience.

Not saying it was due to the water change, I really have no idea. I'd listen to what Jadinop had to say, he's been doing this for a long time :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, i didn't overfeed them on purpose of course. I was target feeding my polyps with a syringe, and i squeezed out too much. But now almost all of them are opened up and normal again. and even the ones that were closed or shriveled up and brown, are open and clear again. some of them are still closed, but it looks like they're trying to open. so i think they'll be ok.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, how long does it take for a polyp to split into 2? because this one i have particularly noticed has been closed for a couple days, and it has a little bulge coming out of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts