The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this hair algae is starting to get out of control. added phosphate sponge,got some chaetomorpha in the fuse. and just now went in with the ground troops. snails and e-crabs. What else can I use in this war with this algae? I've got a kole tang, lawnmower blenny, sallylite foot.
thanks
Reggie.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Crank up the skimmer, crank up the flow, cut back on the use of flaked food if you use it, crank up the alkalkinty.

What are your parameters? How bad was the phosphate when you added the sponge?

How much are you water changing, and how often?

How much LR do you have?

I just read an interesting article in FAMA, about algae problems in tanks with not enough area for anoxic bacterial activity (not anaerobic...). If you can get your hands on the FAMA issue, I believe it was July's - the one with the sea dragon on it. Article was by Bob Goemans.

Hope this helps,

Jenn

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Reggie, here's my experience with hair algae... a main part of success is perserverance and ...

After dealing with hair algae unsuccessfully for over a year in 2002, I'm winning the war one battle at a time! :)

Ever since I got armed with the proper information and started applying it, I see increasing success. I’ve gone from having removing almost a cup every 2-4 weeks to <1 Tbs a month.

When Julian Sprung was in town and gave a presentation earlier this year, which was sponsored by Fish Store & More, I asked him how to eliminate hair algae. In addition to him saying "Read my book on (nuisance) algaes!", he said to do 4 things: remove phosphates, raise your alkalinity, increase protein skimming to remove dissolved organic material and lower your nitrates.

Like you I used a phosphate sponge to remove that.

I raised my alkalinity from ~4-5 DKH to ~9-10 by using various Kent and Seachem buffer additives. I also became aware that Instant Ocean salt doesn't sufficiently buffer the water through discussions with other hobbyists and one LFS owner, so each time I do a water change I buffer the ro water.

In addition, I physically remove as much as I can and I try to do it at least weekly: either by hand or whenever I do a water change. For water changes, I use something that Richard Orr had found someone using in Oregon: a DIY toothbrush converted into a scrapper/siphon to remove hair algae. The head of the toothbrush is drilled and a piece of plastic tubing is inserted into the hole and superglued. Thus when the toothbrush is applied to scrub/clean the LR, the algae is siphoned away. I also shut off my pumps when I am physically removing hair algae so that I can catch/siphon the pieces/clumps that might otherwise be blown away to another part of the aquarium.

I also checked my r/o water for purity. I stopped getting my tank water at Publix’s Glacier water dispenser. Since it said it was r/o, I was expecting it to be <10. However, when we tested the water coming out of the Glacier unit I was using (in Cherokee County), we found that the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) to be 54! As a result, I'm now getting my r/o water from a LFS where it tested out to be 8.

In addition to adding similar clean-up crew type inverts like you mentioned, I’ve also added a tuxedo urchin which Julian’s book also recommended for the type of green hair algae I have. BTW, there are several types of green hair algae and knowing which species you’re dealing with will help you in your battle to regain control over it. Bring a sample of it to the next meeting and I’ll bring my microscope and Julian’s book (just send me a PM a few days before to the meeting sto confirm that I’ll be there since I now doing a lot of travel to NC.)

Lastly, I am planning to upgrade my skimmer once my sump is installed.

Be patient and persistent!

Bob

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok jenn

this is what I just came up with after testing:
Ph- 8.13
dkh- 9
cal- 450
phos <0.05 ( after the sponge)
temp-83.3
ammonia .25
nitrite-<.03
I've got about 1800gph movement in the tank. also I was feeding with some flakes. thanks
Reggie

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
forgot

sg 1.026 or 35sal
and there is a little over 130lbs of LR.

·
Registered
123 Posts
where can one get a sea hare in atlanta? Anyone seen them? Also about how much are they?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
try Jeannie's...

...I dreeeeeammm of Jeannie she has liiigghhht brown sea hares...

:nuts: :lol: :nuts:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.