The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 125g seems to be cycled and doing nicely. I would really like to add a few pieces of livestock. Before I do so, I would like your guys suggestions. Thinking of getting...
4 hermit crabs (contribute to clean-up-crew)
A clownfish

We have 2+ corynactus (jewel?) anemones that we've been target feeding all week, and wonder if a clown may possibly try to host with one of them, thought the anemone is probably too small?
In addition to the hermit crabs, which we have 1 red stripped hermit crab, is there an inexpensive starfish or something else I should consider getting?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't think they will host these. Did you buy them? or did they come with live rock? got any pictures?

What kind of clown are you thinking?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I saw that! that is too cool! Damsels are aggressive, and sometimes hard to put tank mates in with, good luck. If you decide to go with percula's get a pair of small ones around a 1", they will battle a little till they decide who is the girl and who is the boy, but they are fun.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had 1 of these little blue damsels before my disaster event, and he was pretty cool with everyone else. I have read that they can become aggressive as they get older, so when I add fish in some time I'll just rearrange the aquascape a little.
While at the LFS I was inspecting their cinnamon clowns. They had 6 in the tank, and 2 were chill with the anemone. This brought a question to mind, were you to purchase only two of them, would it be best to get the two that appear already as a pair, separating them from the anemone, or look for other clowns that were not hosting, but still seem to pal around?
I would like to have clowns down the road so I am curious.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correction, not a lawnmower blenny but at "Red Scooter Dragonet" or scooter blenny. He's only about an inch in size. Liveaquaria.com, which I have done a bit of reading on specific fish says they are carnivores that will eat brine shimp and like to eat pods off the sand. It recommends them for aged tank, and now I'm concerned my tank will not provide enough food for him, being only a month old.
I do feed with frozen omnivore mix, which includes brine and mysis shrimp, and I fed after introducing them and he hopped right over a shrimp and paid it no mind. It may be a little too big for him?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're referring to the ampi/copepods? This can be used to seed the tank, which means that they will reproduce on their own, providing a regenerating food supply??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts