The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I think I've made the decision that its time for my 90gal to go. :cry: Its just too hot in my place to keep my tank. As of right now, its 84* outside, 97* inside, and the tank is sitting at 91.7*

I've got a ceiling fan just over the tank running 24/7, I've got a floor fan blowing on the surface of the water 24/7 as well. The heater is unplugged, my lights are kept off, my powerhead has been removed. Nothing seems to cool the tank down. A chiller is out of the question, that's not in the budget at all. I'm going to buy an air conditioner tomorrow, but that's going in my bedroom.

Personally, I think my tank would do much better someplace else where the temperature could be more controlled. To me, right now, its like I'm leaving a dog in a car on a hot day with the windows rolled up, I'm sure that's how my fish are feeling.

What should I do to keep my fish in good health during the heat wave? I'm giving them extra garlic with their food. All of my fish still are swimming around in the tank like they always have been, they're all still eating fine. I have lost all my inverts though.

Its a tough decision, but I think it needs to be done.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. I'm in nyc and last week we had a heat wave.I tried everything the fans I even put frozen bottles of water in my sump(that did help). I finally went and bought a small ac(100bucks) for my living room(thats where my 150gal) is. With in 24 hours the temp had dropped 2 degree. You might try a Small ac for the room your tank is in if not then you will have to let it go. However I will say its really nice to hear that you care so much about your fish. Also try the frozen water bottles.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,720 Posts
The problem with Canada in the summer months is the humidity, this makes it almost impossible for water to evaporate, so fans do little to cool your water.

AC will help you on two fronts, it will cool your room, and it will pull humidity out of the air making it possible for water to evap making your fans usefull again. Your results will vary depending on how strong the AC is and how you ventalate your house.

I would use frozen plastic bottles for now, after you get that AC up and going check the temp and see if it helps.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
This sux! No way you can get a small AC for the room?

·
Registered
616 Posts
My tank is in my basement and on the hottest and most humid of these Michigan summer days it never gets above 83 degrees. If you could move it to a cooler place in the house you'd probably be in much better shape. Good luck to you.:)

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
I don't know your expense situation, but there has been some great recomendations here, also dont rule out a used chiller or one of the DIY chillers. It is nice that you take the time to be concerned about your tank, I just hate to see someone leave the hobby.

Be careful of of the ice bottles as you do not want your tank to surge down and back up in an hour. On the air condition front I have had a lot of luck with companies like home depot and Sears (not sure what is available in Canada) going to the stores and buying an open box or returned model really cheap.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
can i have it?

j/k

my tanks are in a room with no windows, the tanks temps are in the upper 80's all summer (89 a few days ago). i dont even think about it since all the corals and fish are fine and never showed any signs of stress due to the higher temps. (its just like this in the summer months)
arent coral reefs gernerally from warm waters anyway?
i never knew why the big fuss over chillers IMO
i never lost anything to high heat
my pond hit 95 degrees the other day! no koi deaths either.
i think the main concern about higher temps is oxygen depletion, but if you have proper water movement and clean water then everything is fine.
are all your critters in the tank ok? if they are then why fuss over it?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I gave in a got a chiller for my 29 gallon. Its the 1/15 HP Prime in line chiller.

Chillers are really not that expensive.... I paid like 280 for mine and Im sure You could find one for aroud 600 duece

or a used chiller on EBAY
Browse around for cheap chiller deals before you call it quits

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
What do you have in your tank right now? Like Pastina said, the higher temps may not cause any harm. It raises the metabolism of stuff in your tank and if you can adequately oxygenate your water then you might be OK. The other thing to do is to get an air conditioner. I don't see how you can survive with temps at 91, let alone the corals! An AC may be the best thing you've ever bought.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
yeah get an air conditioner sounds about the easiest way to solve this.
if it cant fit into the window or if a window isnt present, then they sell those portable AC's. they got cheapy ones in walmart where you just keep filling it with water to cool off the room.
i have central air but the fish room has just way too many tanks and lights going on that it cant cool off, add that to no windows and its sweltering in there
think on the bright side, summers almost over :rotflmao:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty much my whole house is the same temperature. I've got alot of windows. The tank is in a corner, away from any windows or anything. So, moving the tank wouldn't really do much good.

As far as livestock, its a fish only tank. Sailfin tang, niger trigger, peacock puffer, 2 damsels. None of them seem to be stressed or anything, but I'm sure they're not enjoying the heat, I know I'm sure not.

There's no windows in my living room where I could put an air conditioner. They've both got a couch in front of them. A portable one is do-able, but they're like $600. Can't do a chiller, because of the noise it would generate. My bedroom is right beside where the tank is, I can barely sleep with the noise of the pump.

Not sure what I should do. Overnight the temperature dropped to 86.1*, and it hasn't gotten hot out yet. Can almost guaruntee it'll be back up in the 90's by day's end.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
dude your fine dont worry about it
sometimes reading too much can make ya freak out. all these websites say things have to be a certain way blah blah blah
they can send you into a paranoid frenzy thinking your tank is doomed.
seriously things are going to be fine. just sit back and enjoy and take the thermomometers out of the tanks, thats what i did. all that peaking all the time stressing over the tanks temps had me going crazy.
just continue to do your water changes and enjoy your tank :thumbup:

i really dont mean to make light of the situation, but i really dont think your tank is in any danger :)

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Can't do a chiller, because of the noise it would generate.
If that's the only reason, then get a chiller. You can't hear this thing run AT ALL. I'm sure Casey and Tim will back me up on that..:beer:

·
11,345 Posts
whatevva said:
If that's the only reason, then get a chiller. You can't hear this thing run AT ALL. I'm sure Casey and Tim will back me up on that..:beer:
Yeah, the chiller is quieter and/or less obnoxious(and usually more effective) than ALL of the following: (not in any specific order).......AND far cheaper than some

overflows
return pump(of course i spliced into that to RUN the chiller
closed loop pumps
skimmer
pistol shrimp
wife
baby
teenagers
stupid worthless, yapping, licking, designer rat chihuahua

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
if your fish seem happy, are eating, etc. I wouldnt worry too much. the heat wave will pass, winter will come, and you will miss your tank if its gone. (if your fish were truly suffering, I would say re-home them to someone with a chiller etc. Only you know for sure! good luck.

·
11,345 Posts
whatevva said:
Yeah, its only funny unless you acquired one as a family member and are forced to save its life should it be in trouble because SHE loves it.

I cope by asking her once a day if i can kill it. She always says no.

Bad thing about that is that no matter how that dog dies my name is going ot be MUD when it happens. Unfortunately/fortunately(favoring unfortunately) for me those stupid little dogs live FOREVER.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts