The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my first mistake was looking at ebay... impulse buys. :doh: Next was looking at coral and reef clean up crews. i would never purchase anything close to rare or expensive on ebay, but I bought a package of onyx nassarius without doing my homework. The appeal was a great deal on 20 snails. Then I started reading some of the info out: chucks addiction, reef keeping online. What do I do and how bad are these snails? I hate to wastefully harm anything but I seriously worry about sticking these things in my tank. Any thoughts? (The snails come tomorrow)
http://cgi.ebay.com/50-Nassarius-Sn...ultDomain_0&hash=item27b36b0a2d#ht_500wt_1154

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I dont know what to tell you.....I can tell you that I have gone to the beach and just picked up 20-30 of these guys and thrown them in my tank with no harm. If they are nassarious....there no harm at all.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I remember something about these snails from a while back that wasnt favorable... cant remember what it was though...

You could always put some sand in the sump and toss em in there...

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts

·
MICRO TANG
1,815 Posts
When we lived at MB S.C. We would collect them and use them in our tanks with no problems. In fact I'd collect them and put them in a soda bottle full of water and send them to friends all over the place.LOL

At the time I was keeping my tank temp at or just below 80 deg. Over the first week I guess, I'd loose about 10% of them but after that first week the rest held up well.

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
This article that Wharyat posted above.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/mg/index.php

Compare it to the pic from ebay. This is not a snail you want to put in your reef tank. These are not Nassarius snails, they are Ilyanassa obsoleta.
Well holy crap! At first glance they do look like Nassarius, but as the article points out there is much less scupting on the shell.

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I worry about introducing a source of flukes and as with anything on ebay, you really don't know what you are getting. Regretting I made this purchase. Any ideas what to do with these guys?

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a good idea. I was thinking of them for my goby. Thats why I was looking for cheap ones, he ate all but 1 of ours with in a couple of months. Just worried about spreading disease. Thanks for the tip.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the snails just came. Too bad, for such a great deal they were all alive, and he gave me 30 just to cover DOA! They are jet black shell with grey feet (thus the name onyx I guess??) I noticed the guy sells from Brooklyn, NY. Do you think he harvests these from that area of the coast?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts