The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after doing alot of searching on the net I have come to discover that (I am not 100% but I think this is my problem) moray eel's lay eggs. I also read that they become bloated and colors change in them during this period Along with the look of death from the breathing. Well after observing my eel for awhile I noticed it starting to push some thing out of it. I won't know for sure for a little while because she is hidden but I think that this is my major problem.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have sad news. But first for doug the eel was 26" long she came with the tank when I got it. After I wrote this post I called the guy who gave me my sw set up and was then informed that if the tank was below 83 degrees she will become egg bound and die. Well this knoweledge was to little to late. I as of about 10 minutes ago found my eel laying dead on the bottom of the tank. My clean up crew had waisted no time starting in on it but I was interested so I pulled it out and cut it open and learned that it had become egg bound.:( I have now lost my favorite sw inhabitant in my tank. All though I have lost her I know that if I get a new one I know what to look for and what to do next time.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It was a snowflake eel. It never was able to lay its eggs I cut into the belly to look and there was a bunch of eggs or egg like things. I wolud say you could put about 100 of them in a pea. I say egg like things because I won't be 100% convinced about this until I read more and then read some more and the be with out a doubt have no question about what happen.

Sry had to edit I noticed I missed a zero. O yeah one other thing they smell ungodly bad when you get them out of the tank.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Seamonkey,

Sorry for your lost, but please pardon my naivete, but I have never heard of a temperature change causing something to be egg bound? The eel could not release her eggs because the temperature was too low if I understand your thread right.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand what you saying 100% but in the few articles I found on the subject they all stated that a tempature of 82 degrees is needed for a snowflake eel to release her eggs proberly. I have no clue if this is true or not and thats why I stated that I must do more reading.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
No worries. I am trying to learn something new. But thanks for your patience Sea Monkey. Did you get a chance to send the colt corals?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts