The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I must be doing some things right but have room to improve. I took over an existing set up a month ago and moved it to my 72 gal bow front. Appeared to go throw a mini cycle had a small ammonia spike and a Diatoms out break which has cleared up. Decided to take my water to LFS for testing today before I do my water change
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.4 (have to work on that water change should help)
Salinity 1.024 A touch low will fix that with my water change today.
<O:p</O:p
I do have an out break of cyano on my sand I will try to clean out as much of it as I can when I do the water change. Is there any thing else I can do.<O:p</O:p
For what I have been reading people try to keep as much sand exposed as possible what is the reasoning behind this? Take a look at my pictures do you feel I should open up my sand bed more?
How much longer should I wait before adding any more live stock?

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Just use rodi water and stir up sand before water change... I try not to disturb the sand bed too much as I want to keep all the little critters but also don't want nutrient sinks...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just use rodi water and stir up sand before water change... I try not to disturb the sand bed too much as I want to keep all the little critters but also don't want nutrient sinks...
Thanks I am getting ready to add to my tank for the first time but nervous don’t want to mess up and start killing things or crash my tank.<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
For what I have been reading people try to keep as much sand exposed as possible what is the reasoning behind this? Take a look at my pictures do you feel I should open up my sand bed more?[/SIZE][/FONT]
the sand bed
should be open enough for you to get around and clean up any left over poo or food, before it breaks down in your tank, and feeds more cyano/algae. :thumbup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok did a 15% water change took off the lid and moved a few rocks to open up the sand bed more lets see if this helps. going to let the system run overnight before I test it again

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took a new sample up to LFS and they came up with PH 7.4 again. so I bought a PH test kit since I ran out did a test with new API kit got 8.0
So i am thinking may have been something in the water bottle I was ussing or they have a bad test kit?
My test show
cal 450ppm
Alk 4.11 meq/l

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
pH can change from when you remove it from the system to when you get it tested.

Also, pH will change over the course of a day. Mine was 7.9 at 7am this morning and is now 8.2 . Once my chaeto starts photosynthesizing, it pulls the carbon dioxide out of the water, so less carbonic acid (low pH) is formed in the water.
This pH cycle also occurs in fresh water rivers, and anywhere that algae performs photosynthesis. That is why you should record time and date when you take readings.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can see some changes thought out the day but that big of a difference in 20 minutes from when I took the water out of the tank to when i got to LFS. I still believe there was another factor that caused to low readings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts