The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is probably one for Paul B to answer :) But don't let that cause you not to chime in.

Do corals sleep? I think so simply from observation of the dramatic changes in the look of a coral from daylight to night time.

Every night, my Toadstool, mushrooms, Zoas and Gorgonians all seem to "close up shop" each evening. Even when I had LPS they too seemed to close up at night.

My thoughts are that they are a type of animal, many photosynthetic, and operate under a similar wake and sleep period as other animals and humans. However, there are plenty of examples of "night owls" as seen when some corals send out feelers at night. But, do they do that all night or just for a while and sleep in a tad in the morning ;)

Note: I did not perform any Internet searches to back my claim.

What say you? Just another "food for thought" thread...

Below is one example of what I am talking about...day time and night time Gorgonians -

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have made cheese in the past, cheese does not sleep. Enzyme from the fourth stomach of a calf does not sleep. It may depend on organic bacteria. Ultra pasteurized milk does sleep, it can keep for a month.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
I don't think that corals sleep as sleep is generally associated with lack of consciousness. I don't think corals are conscious therefore they can not sleep.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Interesting point. As a platform, activity vs inactivity is a measured difference. Rest is not sleep but said.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Perhaps I should be more specific the definition of sleep as it pertains to humans is

The natural periodic suspension of consciousness during which the powers of the body are restored.

If corals have no consciousness it can not be suspended so there can be no sleep is possible.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
If it is possible for a coral to be conscious, I would not really want to consider the possibilities.
For example a LPS coral being eaten alive by a fish or crab.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Jerry, or all the corals I've lost to poor husbandry or mistakes made!! Can picture my cats paw screening when it got knocked down and landed on my hydnophora! Lost half of it to getting melted by the hydnophora!

Thinking what your observation at night is the zooxanthellae responding to lack of light and photosynthesis? Corals going into feeding mode for actual flesh. Not from the zooanthellae?

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have made cheese in the past, cheese does not sleep. Enzyme from the fourth stomach of a calf does not sleep. It may depend on organic bacteria. Ultra pasteurized milk does sleep, it can keep for a month.
Wow, a comparison with Cheese...interesting.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think that corals sleep as sleep is generally associated with lack of consciousness. I don't think corals are conscious therefore they can not sleep.
One could ask if we have consciousness with all the events happening around the world :)

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
I'm not sure about sleeping specifically, but I do know that they change substantially at night. I've found the envryoment changes it somewhat too.

IME if you have SPS nipping fish then during the day the corals close up and they open at night. If you don't have sps nipping fish then they are out during the day, but open up really large right as the lights go off.

My LPS deflate at night and put out their feeder tenticles. During the day they inflate back up again and only put out their feeder tenticles if I put food in the water. If I have nipping fish the LPS seem not to put out their feeders as far during the daytime.

So it seems like they can learn.

Whiskey

·
Madness Reefer
84 Posts
1. This thread rules.
2. Corals are animals.
3. Zooplankton are animals.
4. Phytoplankton are plants.
5. Trees are plants.
6. Viruses aren't alive.
8. There are most likely other life forms away from this planet.
9. Trees communicate.
10. Zooxanthellae are protozoans.

oh yeah and i think corals sleep and i like to think the zooplankton sometimes do too but i'm no biologist :thumbup:

PS. Bacterioplankton are bacteria.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
And some people think the aliens are abducting them and bringing them back after experimenting on them.
Don't be too harsh on the Aliens, you might end up on their abduction list.

In all seriousness, you don't believe alien abductions are possible or that there is life out there?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts