The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what the heck is that, how do you get them, and i see there are good ones and bad ones...........what do the good ones do that are good...........and what do the bad ones do

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
There are a few diferent types of flatworms, I wouldn't say any are really good.

The worst I can think of are Acro Eating flatworms, as the name would suggest they eat Acropora, and there is no full tank cure, the treatment is almost as devastating as the bug and they are about enough to drive you out of the hobby. You get these usually by trading or buying acros from somebody with an infected tank.

The other 2 kinds I can think of don't eat coral, those are red and white flatworms, you get these in the same way, getting a rock or coral that is infected, but they are not nearly as bad. These can be wiped out by salifert FWE with one catch, they are poisonous and if you have too many, too much of the toxin can build up in your tank and wipe it out. It is always best to deal with these when you first notice them to avoid this problem.

There are also Nudibranchs, but that is a whole different thread, they are not flatworms, but some people call them that.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Flatworms can be treated with flatworm exit (a treatment) but they can also develope a resistance to that over time. otherwise you need a natural cure like a sixline wrasse or a velvet nudibranch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts