The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my current Skimmer is a HOB PS160 and for the life of god I can not figure out how to adjust the thing im making progress however it does not skim nearly as well when my display tanks water volume is max.

However once water evaporates it like hit's it's sweet spot and starts skimming like crazy here is a few pictures to show what im talking about.

Skimmer Production # 1

Skimmer Production # 2

My display Tank Water Level...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I dont know which way I should adjust the little water knob but when my tank volume is full it does not work nearly as well im so confused....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently added a skimmer to my sump. My tank is about 3 months old now. The skimmer has been running for like 2 weeks and there is no skim whatsoever. I have tried different air adjustments but nothing has kicked it off yet. I am now overfeeding the tank trying to dirty up the water to see if that helps. Wish I knew more about adjusting these things myself.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently added a skimmer to my sump. My tank is about 3 months old now. The skimmer has been running for like 2 weeks and there is no skim whatsoever. I have tried different air adjustments but nothing has kicked it off yet. I am now overfeeding the tank trying to dirty up the water to see if that helps. Wish I knew more about adjusting these things myself.

Yea I understand where youre coming from I have been out of town so upon return I performed roughly a 45-50% WC just to get a decent reset on my tank I think that I have a fairly light bio load.

Hopefully a pro will assist me soon .

·
Fish Goddess
331 Posts
hard to say what to do. can you move it in the water? like move it up or down to hit that sweet spot? im not sure if its a hang on back or in the water one

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
those venturi powered skimmers are a bear to get dialed in. they are impossible to dial in unless you have an auto top off system on the system. venturi powered skimmers rely on the pumps ability to air in while pulling the water in also. the problem is that this ability changes drastically with any change in water height. this water height changes the head pressure the pump is battling. until you get the water level to stay spot on consistent you will always adjusting the skimmer.

to make matters worse. it is best to run a skimmer wet and not dry like you have it. you want the skimmate to be a light tea coloured liquid. this allows for the greatest range of organic material to be removed. most people will run a drain line from their collection cups to go to a bucket so as not to have to change the cup every few hours.

G~

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Your problem is one of water level. Is that the skimmer pump on the bottom?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your problem is one of water level. Is that the skimmer pump on the bottom?

i know and yes thats the pump on the bottom idk what happened but thats the one they send mt and it does not stick to the glass very well I always that that it should attach differently. any ideas that skimmer didnt come with instructions...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
i know and yes thats the pump on the bottom idk what happened but thats the one they send mt and it does not stick to the glass very well I always that that it should attach differently. any ideas that skimmer didn't come with instructions...
Try this. When the skimmer is skimming good, measure the distance from the top of the pump to the water line, let's say that is 16", now raise the pump (set on rock, suction cup etc.) until you have 16" from top of pump to the higher water level you get after topping off and see if it skims good again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Honing in a skimmer is not easy but with a lot of trial and error, youll be a pro at it in no time. Skimmers take time to break in, a few weeks sometimes, and anything you do can disrupt them because of their nature. Feeding time, cleaning, and water changing usually 'resets' them. Go with the reefless reefer's advice. Run the skimmer more wet than dry and dont sweat it, as long as its producing some browny bubbly then its doing it's job. Those pics you see and the skimmers at your LFS producing all that foam is because of the stocking rate in the tanks. From your pics and whats in your tank its doing a descent job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts