The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I'm a senior in high school taking marine biology. My teacher has a freshwater and two saltwater tanks. He's had the same wild-caught fish for 3 years (and some we recently caught in an estuary this past october). It inspired me to think about starting my own tank for college because I won't be able to have my dog.
Long story short, I decided I wanted seahorses. Now, I know they are high maintenance and need special gadgets. I've talked to my teacher about seahorses, his own tanks, and read some stuff online (primarily from this site). What I've heard and read is conflicting. His tanks have air-bubble wands, a standard filter, gravel, and some live-rock with no lighting. To get the nitrification down, he throws some calcium carbonate in the tank sometimes. I asked him if he buys protein skimmers, powerheads, or changes the water or does any of the things that most hobbyists would tell one to do. He said, 'I found that the more I leave the tanks alone, the better they do and I've been doing this for fifteen years.' And this is for wild-caught fish.
Would captive-bred seahorses do well in an environment similar to this? I was planning on setting up the tank and cycling it this summer so I would have plenty of time to make it seahorse friendly then slowly acclimate them to the tank. I would certainly hate to waste money on useless machinery (and waste time changing water too) if I really don't have to. I'm planning a 500 dollar budget where I will purchase some of the equipment (sumps, tank, hood, live rock, heater with cage) from craigslist to save time and money; then buy the live-sand, coral substrate, perches/decor, salt, testing-kit, food etc. from a pet store. Does this sound like a good plan or am I just wasting my time? Lol.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Its very possible. All you need is a 10 gallon tank ( like the 10 gal half moons) and they already come with a filter, light, and heater. then throw in a pound or 2 of LR, and a bunch of branching ornaments like dead sea fans and such for the seahorses to attach to. With that, you will need to order through a LFS to make sure that the seahorse is eating (the captive bred seahorses we get are usually already eating frozen foods, but always have them show that they are eating) also, you will need to feed the system a lot because they dont swim to their food, only catch whats floating near them. Which makes regular waterchanges a necessity to remove all the leftover food before it rots. (You can very easily crash the system if you dont) some meat eating snails can help with this as well.

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
Seahorses have been kept in many different set ups.
I'd suggest first to do research on seahorse.org which is the best site anywhere for seahorse keeping.
Your best chances ARE with true captive bred but that can be a confusing buy when purchasing from most LFS's as VERY few have true captive bred but usually sell "tank raised" which is not the same thing.
Places like seahorsesource.com and seahorsecorral.com DO sell true captive bred with seahorsesource having the best reputation of anyone in the market and Dan Underwood is very helpful with his posting on the org and some other sites.
If you haven't already, I'd also suggest first reading the links at the bottom of "MY Thoughts......" page that is linked in my signature.
Those links will provide you with the most accepted basics for seahorse keeping today, and provide you with the best chances of success.
Sure, there are people succeeding in ways that are not recommended but the majority of those have just lucked out with individual seahorses able to tolerate the particular conditions they are placed in. Many many more die in the attempts to do so.
With the best equipment, you are still going to have to do more water changes than for a reef tank as seahorses are known to be "dirty".
First, they don't eat anything but what they perceive to be perfect specimens in their eyes, so the remainder of the food needs removal before decay causes bacterial infections. Also, when they snick the food, they masticate it and expel minute particles through their gills into the water, again, food for algae and bacteria. "Leaving the tank alone" concept is the fast way to end up with seahorse troubles.
Even doing everything right doesn't guarantee success.
Lasty, some college students have been able to keep seahorses while in school, but many find that maintenance gradually slacks off due to school and entertainment and the seahorses suffer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm not the partying type, nor am I looking to own seahorses just because they're cool. That being said, I'll be there to take care of them, so don't assume I won't. Worst comes to worst, I will attach an automatic feeder and be sure to change what I need to change as needed.

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
Well I'm not the partying type, nor am I looking to own seahorses just because they're cool. That being said, I'll be there to take care of them, so don't assume I won't. Worst comes to worst, I will attach an automatic feeder and be sure to change what I need to change as needed.
You seem to be upset at my post but I have no way to know whether or not you can do it and I merely said that some can and some find it problematic.
I in no way assumed you wouldn't.
You also may already know some of the information I linked to but again, I don't know that either so I post in case it can be of some help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope you realize the level of responsibility.
Every animal needs care and attention. It will also be necessary to clean the aquarium and monitor the water levels. Also do not forget that you do not have the opportunity to be away for long, and during student life, you are waiting for a large number of parties and entertainment.
Students face a lot of difficulties during their studies at university, besides this time to think about their future, to keep up with everything you can use services learn more such as papersowl with free essay samples for better understanding of knowledge on topics. This way you can save time without losing quality. Maybe you should think about your decision more carefully and take it seriously.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts