The Reef Tank banner
141 - 160 of 212 Posts

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
How long was it that Y'All were without power last winter Whiskey.....that was like 10 days wasn't it?
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,886 Posts
How long was it that Y'All were without power last winter Whiskey.....that was like 10 days wasn't it?
Hack
YES! That ice storm was the worst. At least I could get to work (which had power) and save most of my corals in the work tank after a couple days. With the snowstorm I couldn't leave my townhouse for two weeks. They didn't plow anything in the community and my 2016 Camaro with summer only tires got stuck half way out of the garage. I'd like to think my new house will be better, but neighbors tell me they didn't plow the public streets here either.

With all this power talk going on I decided to keep working on the break in process for my generator. This post is totally off the grid!!!

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Yes it’s nice being back online. I did manage to keep the tank going though all this. I’m thinking the cycle will probably be good and close to being done. The macro algae is starting to take off now and some of the sponges are doing good. Lost the anemone and a few of the corals.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,886 Posts
Yes it’s nice being back online. I did manage to keep the tank going though all this. I’m thinking the cycle will probably be good and close to being done. The macro algae is starting to take off now and some of the sponges are doing good. Lost the anemone and a few of the corals.
The sponges doing well is a great sign!

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,886 Posts
Wiskey, that overflow box is nice, but the bulkheads leave slot to be desired. The worst one I’ve ever used, I had to take apart and reset a few times. Even had to sand high spots off to get a good seal, they kinder went cheap with them.
Yikes! That's no good. Was it the ones holding the box to the tank, or the ones in the bottom going down to the sump?

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Oh joy, oh bliss, water change. I need to talk the guy who uses the dutch method. No water changes.

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
It works, I went for more then 2 years without doing a water change in my early years of reef keeping. Back then I used plenums on most my early reef tanks. I had only sold corals back then with lots of macro algae.

I’m don’t think I would do it these days. I’m sure you could do Sps, but I bet it would be more work then Bb, water changes and calcium reactor.

141 - 160 of 212 Posts