The Reef Tank banner
41 - 60 of 290 Posts

· Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Well, nothing new today, maybe bringing the tank, stand and sump in. Will finish the stand indoors in the ac, hook up plumbing and everything between the sump and tank.

I’m waiting on some one inch bulkheads. Also need to decide on what type of rock, live or dry. I leaning away from man made rock like Walt Smith reef rock. I think Marco rock would be better then man made rock if I went dry.

Who here has used man made rock?

· Super Moderator
33,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Moved everything into the house, tank , stand and sump, I can work in ac now .

IQ and RC are not my salt of choice, but chewy.com has them at such a good price with Free shipping if you spend over 49.99. I ordered 3 160 gallon buckets at 39.99 plus tax. Can’t beat the price. It will be fine for starting my tank and run for first who know how many months.

And they shipped the same day which is even better. Be here by fedx by Friday if all goes well.

· Super Moderator
33,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Instant ocean is a great salt, I used for years.all the way back in early 70’s. I just like fritz . Who knows at this price I may just use IQ . IQ is probably the biggest selling salt.

· Super Moderator
33,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
I just put a bunch of rock that’s been outside since 2016, put it in a Rubbermaid and soaking with bleach. Then I will rinse it tomorrow and place back in with more bleach and to again Friday, this will be my base rock.
I also talk to Dan again at gulf coast live rock, he said he can ship me an order next week. Trying to decide on amount. It’s the over night shipping that kills the price. Can do the 1-3 days shipping and save. Just not sure the amount of life I will lose.

I just did 75 lbs of the premium rock. Overnight shipping.Between my base rock and live I souls have plenty

· Super Moderator
33,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Last rock I ordered was from rock-n-reef, he includes shipping over night in his prices and it comes out to be even more expensive. But it’s nice Rock with lots of life.

· Super Moderator
33,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
The stuff from rich n reef is really nice, I imagine Dan’s is also, it’s where I think you got your rock. You just can’t find imported live rock

· Super Moderator
33,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
The Fiji rock was nice rock and pretty much the standard years ago. I would love to get that rock today. It had life on it and was actual coral base rock. The thing with gulf rock it can be pretty dense and is mined rock placed in the ocean.

· Super Moderator
33,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I will be getting the rock tomorrow, earlier then I expected. He collected yesterday, I’m filling a 44 gallon Rubbermaid right now, will add salt and keep rock in it until I’m ready for it. Also still working on my dry rock.

· Super Moderator
33,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Last live rock I got some black urchins along with a bunch of clams, turkey cams I think they are called. And other tiny clams. Macro algae, all survived. I left the macro on the rock and would prune it.
I had to take the tank down when I got sick. It was in my shop which I also had to close, got sick and covid hit.

· Super Moderator
33,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Got two of them Jerry. One aimed at the back of the tank. But you never know. I have no idea how good this will be. Dan seems cool and want to keep people happy with his rock. I will be getting 2 40 boxes.

· Super Moderator
33,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Is that on arc or R2R? I think I saw it, little too much for me unless a seahorse tank. Looks like a possibility of an hurricane heading our way.

· Super Moderator
33,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Might not be harvesting much.
Yep, that happened when I order rock a few years ago, i had to wait a few weeks, they could go out with all the storms and storm surge.

41 - 60 of 290 Posts