The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 284 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Talked to Kristine about doing a seahorse tank and she said go for it, I will be doing another thread for that tank. They will both be done simultaneously.

·
Super Moderator
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sump needs to cure, I was doing so good with the silicone, then the mess happened, I will clean it up later. It’s not going to have but one large area for the skimmer, I may run the skimmer outside the stand. And do a area for some live rock, don’t know

·
Super Moderator
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The skimmer is larger then any of my life reef skimmers. The footprint is 18x15. But i also have the calcium reactor which is about 12x12 footprint. Have to run it some place .

I originally was going to do side and LPS, but my love for SPS is making me lean towards them. But then I like to do BB but my wife likes sand.

·
Super Moderator
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Now for the overflow, I hope I have room to make a bean out of it, says it can handle 1600 gallon an hour. Just with 11/2 bulkheads it will be tight. I need to also order 4 1 inch bulk heads for the 4 holes on the sides of tank for a closed loop. I will just put them in and block for now.

·
Super Moderator
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I bought that same overflow for my 40G Frag tank (The smaller version of course). I love how the inside box can pop off for cleaning!

Whiskey
I'm glad to hear you liked it, I didn't want to build my own, I did one a while back and it was work getting it the way I wanted. That's what sold the fact you can pull the inside out for cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Got the overflow in, I hope it flow what it rated at 1600 gph, i just don't think it looks possible. Hope I'm wrong.I also hope I have room in the overflow box to creat my bean style

·
Super Moderator
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I like to use fritz salt mix, but I was looking at Chewy. Com and IO is 39.00 for a 160 gallon bucket, reef crystals skitter more with free shipping if over 49.99.

·
Super Moderator
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I know, I hate to not have it flow what I want and not have a 2nd on in place, but it not a cheap piece , I was thinking I should put a 2nd one in and I can dial them down if too much.I don’t know. Once I fill the tank it’s two late.
wiskey used one, just smaller and like it.

·
Super Moderator
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
for the most part I don’t do water test, I guess I got into the habit of doing customers tanks where you set up and get it going for them, but I really was never concerned with flow, I just never used this type of overflow before. In my mind I keep thing, how is this going to run enough water.

the outside box I’m sure can handle it, not so sure about the inner box.

·
Super Moderator
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
After thinking about this over I think I may give it a try as is and hope the noise level is not all that bad. They rate it at 1600and even a little less is fine, but if I add a bean style to the box I think that’s where my flow lost will be. I will be reducing the flow by making one drain the primary and one just a secondary which is going to reduce it.
Give me your input

·
Super Moderator
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Ok went to Home Depot and picked up some stuff for the bean, being it 11/2 bulkheads it won’t allow me to easily do a bean, and I don’t want to reduce the pipe to one inch, I would defeat myself. I so have a plan to try, cut down the skip area of the elbows to join then and try and squeeze it in.

·
Super Moderator
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I figured out how to make the bean work, just have to cut the elbows, did one , my emergency tube will have to be the vent one. Will make the adjustments

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
33,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Dang, I forgot the tee for the secondary drain. I’m not going back today. I thinking I could put a air fitting in as elbow for the secondary, what you think?

21 - 40 of 284 Posts