The Reef Tank banner
381 - 400 of 487 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
Been doing a lot of thinking lately, mainly about what I want to keep now, my health has made me decide to do more of a soft coral with a mix of a few other hard.
I also am leaning toward putting some sand and macro in my sump. Plenty of room.

·
Super Moderator
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
Ok , I’m thinking about going t5 lighting on my tank. It’s 16 inches tall how many bulbs the tank 4, 6, or 8. I’m thinking 4or 6 at most. I plan on soft and LPS and a monti cap

·
Super Moderator
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
Alright, got the t-5 and MH on the tank, 4 54 w actinic and 2 250 watt MH which will probably only be on 4 hours a day if that long. I already think the spread is better. Just from the T5’s

·
Super Moderator
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
Just a few hours of these lights, the blues actinic only . The tank is so bright and the color of the fish is beautiful. I forgot how beautiful these fish are. No ripple is a little odd. But when I start using the MH’s it will be there. I will probably just run the T 5 for a few days and then slowly kick on the MH .

·
Super Moderator
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·

·
Administrator
19,612 Posts
Never messed with MH's Vinnie, but do adore t5's.......I use the ATI 54 wt Blue Plus and Coral Plus bulbs.

I will probably just run the T 5 for a few days and then slowly kick on the MH .
MAN, time flys!
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,198 Posts
OH MAN!!! MH eh? I don't think anything can really replicate that look. I really wasn't happy with just LED either, with the T5 along with LED it's better for the spread, but if look was the only factor I'd be doing the same thing.

Oh,.. and with that fixture you can keep anything you want!

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 ·

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,198 Posts
Very nice! One thing with the LED is that the heavy blue dulls the color in this fish a little bit. I tried moving the LED's to more of a white but I think I took things too fast a while back. I've been reading some papers that say corals are less sensitive to blue spectrums than they are to red spectrums and adding in white for the LED adds in allot of red as well. I actually think that might be what's been causing some of my recent issues not the NO3 dosing.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Wiskey, I have been thinking about lighting lots lately, one of the thing I don’t ever remember 15 years ago before LEDs became the main lighting on our tank.
The relationship between Dino’s and LEDs. Never in all the years of being in this hobby did I experience Dino’s. But in every tank with LEDs I have. I was in this tank also. But I switched to the T5’s and MH and the Dino’s have pretty much left. Could just be by chance.

·
Super Moderator
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
Well I’m finally getting happy with the tank. Seems liked I hit that nice place where everything is happy and balanced.
fish are fat and happy, snail doing good. The only thing now is the algae film on glass. But that should come under control when I actually turn on the UV.

381 - 400 of 487 Posts