The Reef Tank banner
221 - 240 of 249 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
So for no update in awhile, I share most of what I’m up to on Wiskeys thread.
I will probably be getting some fish and snails this week, probably some regular clowns, I dislike the designer clown,
Adjusted the skimmer more on the wet side, I will hold off on corals until the tank is done with any of the ugly stage that comes up, even though my rock was live, it still goes though the stages. Running light as normal but not as intense.

·
Administrator
16,827 Posts
......Ahhhhh, we're all friends.....your thread my thread his thread.....as long as the troops are getting entertained. 🤔 👍
Clown fish huh.....🤔.......just as a 'tank mature'er or do you actually like them?
Hack

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
I like cloy, just not the hybrid. They can be butts, but after breeding and raising them I grew very fond of them.

·
Administrator
16,827 Posts
Kept them back in the 'early days' of marine aquaria, just because...well, that's what was available. Raising them, and seeing the fry drive me nuts traveling through my filtration systems, only to be discovered weeks latter calling a filter tank their home. HARDY little buggers, give em that.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
If you are rising you get them out the night they hatch by siphoning, if they lay on something you can remove you pull it out and place in a blackout tank. They alway hatch on time.
the tank for raising is connected to main display tank, so water quality stays the same and good. Not sure if everyone does it the same,
Now seahorses are different other then siphoning them out right after birth and put in the tanks I made. Kind of like a jellyfish tank, with in a larger tank. The food requirement is where the work comes in.
I don’t plan on raising, too much work.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
I never have , They are cool and it sure would be something to have one, The cost of those tanks are high for a decent one, I don't even know how long they actually live, Have hard enough time with what I have going.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Just finished the water change, about 1/3rd of water. I cleaned the three socks yesterday and had to clean again after blowing off all the rocks and storing everything up. I love having three socks, make it so easy to clean and collect all the stuff.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Well, I have byosis taking hold of my rock, I ordered some Vibrant reef, every thing I have read id pretty much positive, I want to use now before corals go in. Should be here by midweek next week, I will remove the macro algae to prevent die off, Vibrant doesn't kill macro but its food source will be diminished and will kill, It will go in seahorse tank.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Good time to take care of it now. I've also hear that briopsis is primarily a very low nutrient algae so as the tank gets settled it might be less susceptible to it. Another trick for this stuff is magnesium, might be good to get that raised for after the treatment to give it the 1-2 punch.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Alright, I pulled the cured rock out of the seahorse tank. Was just in there curing. And place in the sump of this tank. Will stay in the sump until I’m done getting rid of the bryopsis. Then it will go up top or at least some will.
Gas Plumbing Composite material Plumbing fixture Pipe

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Today i started the vibrant, I will keep this updated on the process or any issues is may create, I read a lot of positive reviews, but a few people said they did have issues. But no corals in tank and if by some chance cyno or something else pop up I will let you all know. I will be putting fish in during this time.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Haven't update here in a week so I will do a one week update, nothing to share as I can't see any real change in the first week. But they state it's takes about 8 weeks average. I have been blowing off the rock every other day and pulling some out manually here and there . I need to up the in tank circulation. The sock I have to clean about every third day.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Looking at the tank today it looks like the vibrant may be starting to kick in . I’m seeing some of the algae is starting to turn white and disintegrating. I’m going to test tomorrow to see if the nitrates are rising because the algae will probably release stuff back in the water

·
Administrator
16,827 Posts
I smell Fish coming up here shortly........any ones in particular tickling yer fancy? Looking at just some 'starters' to check the waters, or are you going right for the MUST HAVES?
Hack

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
I will get the fish I like and plan to keep, the hardest part is I can’t keep some of the fish I love, mainly some of the trigger fish . I love the clown trigger, pink tail, black Hawaiian. And one I would love to get is the male queen trigger, but he would need to be alone. I had one I got because a customer ask to order it then backed out. Got him at 6 inches and by time he was 14 inches he started killing everything. So he was moved to his own tank until death. I love fish only tanks for larger fish.
This tank probably a few tangs, clown and maybe a blue jaw male trigger.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
I like to have a few yellow tangs , but prices are nuts for small biota tank bred . I remember never paying more then 15 or 20 dollars. Now 209 average fo a pale 1 -11/2 inch tang. And I have been reading about all the problems they are having with them.
I may get lucky and find one here locally cheaper.

221 - 240 of 249 Posts