The Reef Tank banner
181 - 200 of 212 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,886 Posts
Wiskey, did you ever run a MRC calcium reactor?I’m trying to figure out my circulation pump size. It’s a MR6. I’m not in a big hurry, it will be awhile before I use it.
Neah,.. I did have one of their beckett skimmers, but I cheeped out on the CA reactor and got one used that was no name. Later, with my 75G I picked up a used Geo. I will never use a CA reactor again without a continuous duty parasitotic pump to drive it BTW. I had too many things clog up the little needle valve over the years. Now I use Trident and Triton to monitor it, plus the DOS pumps to dose it.

I can tell you though that this CA reactor originally came with a BlueLine 20 pump which I'm assuming is broken or missing for you, it was 480gph. I would probably use one that is slightly larger by Ehiem, they make good, quiet, reliable pumps.

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
I can tell you though that this CA reactor originally came with a BlueLine 20 pump which I'm assuming is broken or missing for you, it was 480gph. I would probably use one that is slightly larger by Ehiem, they make good, quiet, reliable pumps.

Whiskey
you are correct, originally it came with blue line pump and a maxi jet. I will just change an go with a dc pump to replace the blue line and get something in place if the maxi

thanks
Somewhere along the way i no longer have them. I imagine I used someplace else.

I also had a mr2 which I sold to a friend

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,886 Posts
you are correct, originally it came with blue line pump and a maxi jet. I will just change an go with a dc pump to replace the blue line and get something in place if the maxi

thanks
Somewhere along the way i no longer have them. I imagine I used someplace else.

I also had a mr2 which I sold to a friend
As I recall they also didn't come with the pump(s). The MaxiJet was for feeding the CA Reactor as I recall, I would replace that with one of these and remove the needle valve:

That will make the CA reactor rock solid reliable, and very easy to adjust.

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Thanks Wiskey, I just looked at pictures of my MR2 and it had a mag pump. I will look into the link you put.

Trident works with the apex? I lost all mine in the flood and have been put getting another. Just the cost to replace. I loved it. I didn’t have trident and don’t know if it was even available in 2016 or was new at that time.
I will read up on it.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,886 Posts
Thanks Wiskey, I just looked at pictures of my MR2 and it had a mag pump. I will look into the link you put.

Trident works with the apex? I lost all mine in the flood and have been put getting another. Just the cost to replace. I loved it. I didn’t have trident and don’t know if it was even available in 2016 or was new at that time.
I will read up on it.
Yep! Trident is an Apex product. You can use it to run Triton, regular 2 part, or a CA reactor, or do anything you want really and have it in monitor mode. I had mine making adjustments early on, but found that it can get the odd bad test so I decided on more of a monitoring role for it and I react to trends rather than every result.

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
this isn't a very good video, it's was made shortly after putting the rock in, the powerheads where just for added flow while cycling, I still have to finish the stand, but not going to pick up wood with all the rain we have , I know the stains on the plumbing is ugly. it's not seen.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
Water test are good on this tank, I can start adding some fish at anytime. Now to get motivated to drive to Baton Rouge.
Is THAT where your preferred lfs is? What kind of Fish have you got yer sights on? Going to be a fish heavy' tank, or just a fish or two to give the tank some movement?

I never did pack my 210 with Fish.....occasional put a larger fish, like our One Spot, or a Butterfly......I've had our Half Black dwarf angel in the pretty much the whole 7 years. But for the most part I love the little gobbis and blennies that you're lucky if'n you see them on occasion.

Hack

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Hack , Baton Rouge is the nearest place with decent LFS. One in particular, we have a petco which the fish department is ran decent with a knowledgeable person running it, fish are healthy, tanks always clean. Just selection is very limited.
as far as fish heavy, I do like to have a good amount of fish. Even my 120 Stoney tank was fish heavy compared to a lot of people. The reason I run nice skimmers. And keep up with water changes. I think having fish help.

·
16,599 Posts
as far as fish heavy, I do like to have a good amount of fish. Even my 120 Stoney tank was fish heavy compared to a lot of people. The reason I run nice skimmers. And keep up with water changes. I think having fish help
Helping maintain 'nutrient levels'?
Hack

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
I think so Hack, it's like frag tanks do good with fish in them. At one time I though the opposite, But it also make the tank more interesting to my family who aren't into corals. The only thing is my wife likes sand but I don't want it, I just miss have some of the cool sand shifters

·
16,599 Posts
Yeah, Jen tells me 'it's my hobby' but She does like nice white sand, and all the fish she sees at the stores.....BUT it is your hobby Hack. It took a lot, but I am a staunch BB convert!
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
......I's seen the LIGHT! 😁
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,886 Posts
I have to say that I'm a firm supporter of a shallow sand bed. It does cause more maintenance, and you have to clean it out regularly, but I love all the variety of critters that I can have in there so I think it's totally worth it. I also think that it adds a substantial amount of stability, I've always had the best long term tank success especially with LPS and SPS while using about 1/2 inch of sand.

Whiskey

181 - 200 of 212 Posts