The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
Good morning Vinnie.
Will this be set up against a wall, or a 'peninsula' setup?

I might even be using the term 'peninsula' all wrong in my thinking......I think it means, 'one end against a wall with the length of the tank sticking out from it'?

I love my 'island' set up with this 210 of our's, but 'IF' I revamp, and down size the goal will be to create more room out there. So I'm thinking a 'peninsula' or flat against the wall this time.

Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
All puns intended......coming together nicely Bro! Yeah, gotta look close at them tubes of goop......they sneak stuff in there sheepishly to raise revenues.

Bulk Reef bought out Marine Depot right? Notice any bargains?
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
Sounds like you're harboring some serious thoughts there Vinnie in the back of your mind.

Between you, and Blair, I'm getting that 7 year itch......careful, I think I detect a twinkle also in Jerry's eyes?
That's what's been missing around here for a while....some good old fashioned 'let's build something'. 👍
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
GREAT having you back Vinnie.....this place is hopping!
A Sea Horse build.....THAT'S been a long time since I've seen one of them. I see Ray J popping in on occasion about Sea Horses, so am sure he'll be stopping by.
Best of luck with it,
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
THAT'S the beauty of clear silicone. 😁
Sump needs to cure, I was doing so good with the silicone, then the mess happened, I will clean it up later.
I originally was going to do side and LPS, but my love for SPS is making me lean towards them. But then I like to do BB but my wife likes sand.
It took me a while with our softies tank to understand the true beauty of going BB.....My wife misses the sand, but ain't going back....especially if'n I go through with my new project this winter break.....hoping to go SPS.
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
Always been a fan of IO's Reef Crystals till I switched over to the Atlantic Ocean brand. 🤔 😁
But Chewy's just can't be beat'n! Prices and their delivery is just incredible!

Finger's crossed that THAT flow rate is correct.....Oooooo, I shudder to think.....
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
Test with tap water.
Smile Wood Gas Toddler Flooring

ALWAYS a groovy idea......and use someone who won't suspect that anything could go wrong. 😁
Hack

If'n that thing wasn't sooooooo heavy, YES, I would have tested it OUTSIDE!

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
I don't care if'n this is all Greek to me.....it's a 'build thread', and I'm loving it!
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
With all the new tank builds happening I lost my score card. But since rocks are being discussed here, here I will chat. 🤔
With the pending POSSIBILITY of me down sizing, and going with hard corals this winter, I was assuming I knew where my base rock supply was going to come from...the same place I got it 7 years ago. NOPE! Just checked, and ReefCleaners no longer list their boxes of rock. Hmmmmmm? I would like to start with dry rock, not man made, but quarried from ancient reef......I've lost track....who's carrying such stuff nowadays?

I love that porous old coral as opposed to the denser rocks folks sell.

I have a couple hundred pound of the stuff in my tank now.....BUT it's covered in corals. I'll be trading or selling all that off when the time comes, so there won't be any to 'cook'.
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
Looks like roughly $3.00 per pound, from BRS.....that's doable. Tried going directly to Marco Rocks site, and got a HUGE MESSAGE across the screen...GO BACK TO SAFETY! Bad juju ahead.

But thanks Vinnie, that takes me a direction to look.
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
OOOOoooooooooo! Just when Ya think the world is full of smucks, Ya meet a nice one that brightens Yer day! CONGRATULATIONS! Now You have something to do as You watch Ida out yer window this weekend.
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
When You Folks use this FANTASTIC LOOKING LIVE ROCK, does any of the higher living stuff make it through your 'initial cycle' to the other side?
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
.........yeah, he'd be left with 'live SAND' after Ida gets a hold of it! 🤔 :ROFLMAO:
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
I am also a convert to BB. But ditto on Jen liking the 'look'of nice white sand.....I won though....MY hobby. 😁
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
How long was it that Y'All were without power last winter Whiskey.....that was like 10 days wasn't it?
Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
Water test are good on this tank, I can start adding some fish at anytime. Now to get motivated to drive to Baton Rouge.
Is THAT where your preferred lfs is? What kind of Fish have you got yer sights on? Going to be a fish heavy' tank, or just a fish or two to give the tank some movement?

I never did pack my 210 with Fish.....occasional put a larger fish, like our One Spot, or a Butterfly......I've had our Half Black dwarf angel in the pretty much the whole 7 years. But for the most part I love the little gobbis and blennies that you're lucky if'n you see them on occasion.

Hack

· Administrator
20,830 Posts
as far as fish heavy, I do like to have a good amount of fish. Even my 120 Stoney tank was fish heavy compared to a lot of people. The reason I run nice skimmers. And keep up with water changes. I think having fish help
Helping maintain 'nutrient levels'?
Hack

1 - 20 of 78 Posts