The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Just some guy, you know?
40,402 Posts
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!

Man you are moving fast!!!! I really like that baffle kit, I think you made a good choice on that one, and you did a great job installing them! I'm with you on the bean animal overflow. Ever since I set one of those up at the very beginning it's been my go to every time. They are so quiet and reliable.

I'm looking forward to following your progress (If I can keep up!)

Whiskey

40,402 Posts
Dang, I forgot the tee for the secondary drain. I'm not going back today. I thinking I could put a air fitting in as elbow for the secondary, what you think?
I did this! It wasn't perfect but it did work. It would get you by until you happen to be at the store for something else.

Whiskey

40,402 Posts
Well, nothing new today, maybe bringing the tank, stand and sump in. Will finish the stand indoors in the ac, hook up plumbing and everything between the sump and tank.

I'm waiting on some one inch bulkheads. Also need to decide on what type of rock, live or dry. I leaning away from man made rock like Walt Smith reef rock. I think Marco rock would be better then man made rock if I went dry.

Who here has used man made rock?
My 10G and work 3G both have man made rock. It's branch rock that was supposed to be mined, but once you break it open you can tell that there is very little of the white mined part in there, and lots of a darker concrete like material.

I don't love it. I do love that I could make an amazing dry rock structure and glue it all up, but I feel like the tanks took a year to really settle in and start working well. I'm not sure if regular dry rock would be better or not, but there was no comparison to real live rock.

Whiskey

40,402 Posts
I just put a bunch of rock that's been outside since 2016, put it in a Rubbermaid and soaking with bleach. Then I will rinse it tomorrow and place back in with more bleach and to again Friday, this will be my base rock.
I also talk to Dan again at gulf coast live rock, he said he can ship me an order next week. Trying to decide on amount. It's the over night shipping that kills the price. Can do the 1-3 days shipping and save. Just not sure the amount of life I will lose.

I just did 75 lbs of the premium rock. Overnight shipping.Between my base rock and live I souls have plenty
I think getting the 75lbs of premium rock was a great choice. You will be much happier than the man made rock in the long run I think. I'm curious to see what you get!

Whiskey

40,402 Posts
Instant ocean is a great salt, I used for years.all the way back in early 70's. I just like fritz . Who knows at this price I may just use IQ . IQ is probably the biggest selling salt.
I would still be using Reef Crystals if it didn't mix up to an Alk of like 12. IO is great for an FO tank, and the reason it's the biggest seller is that it's consistent, and all the public aquariums that have huge tanks for fish, penguins, and wales use it. It's a perfect choice for getting the tank going and cycling, then you can transition to something else when you get your perams dialed in and have a bunch of coral.

I keep my levels closer to NSW, Alk of 7.5, CA around 420, Mag around 1300 and Tropic Marine (for double the price) mixes up to almost exactly that, so when I do a water change I don't have to adjust my dosing to get my levels back in line.

Whiskey

40,402 Posts
Issue with my overnight shipment of live rock, I paid good money and the address is one number off. I been on the phone with UPS and can't get them to contact driver, the best is I can go pick it up today, but I have to wait for a call, if I can't get today, they said Monday . I'm ticked off.
Oh man! I'd be ticked off too! Can you wait at your neighbors house and receive it there?

Hope you are able to get it today!

Whiskey

40,402 Posts
He left the neighborhood, and they said they can't call him
That sucks. I feel like there should be a solution for a problem like this. There is so much logistics involved in getting these packages to where they need to go, and yet there is no way to contact a driver? It makes me think someone isn't trying very hard.

Whiskey

40,402 Posts
The tank is looking good!! Were you affected by the Hurricane? Is that why you are running on a generator? It is super nice to have one, I sleep better knowing it's there.

With the skimmer, I wouldn't change out the pump just yet, you may find after a couple weeks that it evens out. My skimmers have always gone this way with new live rock, I usually do what you do by limiting the air for a little while and slowly opening it back up.

Whiskey

40,402 Posts
Yes it hit us as a cat 2 storm, we had minor damage from winds, it was one of the worst storms to hit us. But all is good.
Glad to hear you made it through okay! Hopefully power will come back soon and you will be able to stop putting gas in the generator.

Whiskey

40,402 Posts
How long was it that Y'All were without power last winter Whiskey.....that was like 10 days wasn't it?
Hack
YES! That ice storm was the worst. At least I could get to work (which had power) and save most of my corals in the work tank after a couple days. With the snowstorm I couldn't leave my townhouse for two weeks. They didn't plow anything in the community and my 2016 Camaro with summer only tires got stuck half way out of the garage. I'd like to think my new house will be better, but neighbors tell me they didn't plow the public streets here either.

With all this power talk going on I decided to keep working on the break in process for my generator. This post is totally off the grid!!!

Whiskey

40,402 Posts
Yes it's nice being back online. I did manage to keep the tank going though all this. I'm thinking the cycle will probably be good and close to being done. The macro algae is starting to take off now and some of the sponges are doing good. Lost the anemone and a few of the corals.
The sponges doing well is a great sign!

40,402 Posts
Wiskey, that overflow box is nice, but the bulkheads leave slot to be desired. The worst one I've ever used, I had to take apart and reset a few times. Even had to sand high spots off to get a good seal, they kinder went cheap with them.
Yikes! That's no good. Was it the ones holding the box to the tank, or the ones in the bottom going down to the sump?

Whiskey

40,402 Posts
I'm not surprised you are having trouble with your Bean,.. when I first setup a tank with new plumbing I had to adjust it quite a bit in the first couple weeks as the plumbing slimed up. Once it did the Bean was pretty stable.

I also struggled with a Bean in the external overflow box until I made the largest gap in water level possible between the full syphon drain, and the trickle drain. I took everything out of the full syphon drain so it was as low as possible and I made the trickle one almost as high as I could then had just a tiny bit of water trickling down it with the emergency just a hair higher. After doing this I pretty
much never had to touch it.

All hail the water change!

Whiskey

1 - 20 of 72 Posts