The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this skimmer for a month now, and still cant get it to work. I bought it packaged with the GenX PCX 40 from MRC. I have been emailing Andy and he responds, but so far has not been able to help.

Initially I had a glass sump, and had the intake going up and over to the pump. That didnt work so I got a rubbermaid bin, and drilled a hole, added a bulkhead. But still no good.

Here is a pic of the bulkhead and side of the sump:

Here is a pic of the intake from the sump to the pump.

And here is the output. I am probably going to make it go straight out of the pump, but I dont know if that will be the answer.

When I initially turned the pump on with this set up, I had water going into the skimmer and had a variable water level according to the gate valve. But there were no bubbles, and after 30 seconds, the water level dropped to nothing, and there was no flow at all throught the skimmer.

Is this pump not strong enough? Like I said it was packaged with the MR2, but so is the PCX55, if that is the problem I would have gladly paid the $15 dollar difference to avoid all of this aggravation.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I know you probably did this but did you open the air valve near the beckett? I forgot on mine and couldn't figure why had no bubbles and when I did realize and opened it the skimmer went crazy. Like I said you probably did this just checking.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jenajet said:
I know you probably did this but did you open the air valve near the beckett? I forgot on mine and couldn't figure why had no bubbles and when I did realize and opened it the skimmer went crazy. Like I said you probably did this just checking.
Yes

And it is not that there are no bubbles, there is nothing going through the skimmer at all, no water flow, nada.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Wow, no idea. Not familiar with that pump. I am using a mag 12 and ran the intake directly from the pump to the skimmer like you said you did at first. Seems like even if the pump wasn't strong enough it should at least get water to the skimmer. I hope someone with more experience with that skimmer and pump chime in. Sorry.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have you disconnected the pump from the skimmer and just looped it back into the sump to make sure your pump is working? When you originally had it plumbed up and over the sump did it lose prime and end up running dry and if so for how long? Have you taken apart the pump at the impeller to see if anything is blocking the flow? Have you taken apart the beckett to see if anything is blocking the flow?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My next step is to disconnect the pump from the skimmer to see if it is pumping. When I originally did it, I was constantly feeding water to the pump, I had put in a T with a priming tube, so I do not think I burned the pump, it always had water in it.

I dont want to open it up yet thinking that MRC may take it back since it is brand new.

After I disconnect the pump from the skimmer, and there is plenty of water coming out, then I will look at the injector.

Could it be possible that it is not getting enough electricity?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just reread your 1st post, are you getting any water at all flowing out the gate valve? I don't have membership at RC, so I can't do a search but there is a post that shows the injector torn apart and how things should go together on RC, if you get to that point. If you end up solving the flow problem I would try and eliminate as many of the 90's as possible. Like you stated earlier coming straight off the sump and then possibly getting a longer piece of PVC flex, (I prefer that to clear), to come straight off the output up to the skimmer, (of course with the necessary shutoffs and disconnects included).

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll wait to hear back after you check the pump.

·
11,345 Posts
So youve got water coming out of the pump without the skimmer attached but ZERO water coming out of the gate valve when it IS attached??

Weird. Sounds like some SERIOUS blockage that i cant even imagine what it could be......if the above it true, its like somebody glued a plug in the bottom of your beckett.......

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont know if water is coming out of the pump without the skimmer attached, I will have to check that later and get back to you. I had thought about doing that the other day but did not feel like detaching the plumbing. But that would localize the problem to the pump or the skimmer. (I think the problem is the pump, but we will see.)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Too much restriction on your pump intake. Pressure rated pumps hate that. Get that pump as close to the tank as you can and get rid of that valve its a restriciton as well. Alot of people even run dual intakes on there pressure pumps and like the results. Your pump is on the smaller end for that skimmer and with the restiction cannot cut it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
REEF-DADDY said:
Too much restriction on your pump intake. Pressure rated pumps hate that. Get that pump as close to the tank as you can and get rid of that valve its a restriciton as well. Alot of people even run dual intakes on there pressure pumps and like the results. Your pump is on the smaller end for that skimmer and with the restiction cannot cut it.
How can I get rid of that valve? If it was not there, I would have no way of removing the pump without flooding the basement.

As it is now it is a working sump and it is going to be a pain to do anything proximal to that valve. I could make it a straight run, and make it shorter but that is not the optimal configuration for the space.

Other people have their intakes going up and over the sump and I cant even get away with one bend? Is it just that the pump is too small? Would it be better with the PCX 55?

·
Registered
307 Posts
drsyme said:
How can I get rid of that valve? If it was not there, I would have no way of removing the pump without flooding the basement.

As it is now it is a working sump and it is going to be a pain to do anything proximal to that valve. I could make it a straight run, and make it shorter but that is not the optimal configuration for the space.

Other people have their intakes going up and over the sump and I cant even get away with one bend? Is it just that the pump is too small? Would it be better with the PCX 55?
IME a PCX 55 would be better as the 1" piping will present less restriction, but you really need to fix that plumbing. Is the bulkhead threaded on the inside? If so you can plug it when you need to remove the pump, which on my skimmer is not often at all.

·
11,345 Posts
drsyme said:

I have my pcx 55 (had i mean, my mr-2 is for sale), pulling water out of a 1 1/2" bulkhead that was oriented just a couple of inches below the water line in my sump on the tank drain side, that way if i needed to remove the pump i could do it by simply lowering the water level in the sump a couple of inches, or when doing a water change.........

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
the PCX 40 is not as strong as the 55, but in NO way is this a weak pump.

Is the valve before the pump ALL the way open? and NO water is coming out of the MR2?

If so, then it can only be one of two things....you intake or injector is blocked/not put together correctly.

OR...the pump is broken. I doubt if you use it Andy won't take it back. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

I assume the intake is primed?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts