The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I am not sure what I should do!

My tank is going perfect, everyone who's see's it is amazed and how good things are going along. My fishes colours are beautiful my corals are all open full, same with my anemones, my mushrooms seem to be getting bigger every day, the live rock is really coming around, everyday there is new purple, pink, wine colour coral algae growth. Here is my problem and i don't know what to do. I have a aquaclear 300 filter on it and I have heard that these cause unwanted algae, so far I have very little and what I do get is eat by the workers and my tangs!! My nitrates are up a bit but its not hurting anything everything is happy. I decided not to get a sump as I don't want to take the risk of overflow on my hardwood floors. I thought about just going with the protein skimmer and the powerheads, but I am afraid if I take the aquaclear out it might have a adverse affect on the whole system. Plus I think it acts as a good gas exchanger for the surface of the water, keeps the water clearer, I even find lots of shrimps in it when I clean it out. Oh my what to do.

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
The filter itself isn't the problem; it's the filter media that builds up gunk over time. Just pull the media and run it empty.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
that'd be my recommendation also.

keep the filter running, jsut pull out the pads and sponges.

you've got lots of live rock right? that's your filter.

but you are right about the powerfilter helping with gas exchange etc.. no reason to take it off.

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You see always good people with good advice, thanks Alice and Jay!!!

Jay I do have lots of rock, over 100 pounds in the 72 gallon!!! So will the water stay clear???

G

·
as long as you dont over feed and have enough biological filtration to counter the waste...and do a waterchanges youll be fine :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
thanks to you too dermp....

after repsonding to your add, it dawned on me, that i have an aquaclear 300 that i bought for my temp tank.... so why was it sitting unused !?!? but thanks ot your post, i figured, hey, another powerhead :)

so i jsut got through checking it over, making sure everything was clean and working, and popped in on the tank for some more circulation.. (no pads or sponges or carbon bags though)

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
You can run it empty OR you can keep the filter floss in the IF you clean it on a regular basis, like at least once every 3-4 days. The filter floss will keep the tank a little more clear because it does remove a lot of the little floaties in the tank. IMO it looks more natural with the floaties (ever been scuba diving or snorkling on a reef?) Traped food, etc will turn it into a nitrate factory if not removed. Oh, it's also a good place to run carbon if you choose to do so. Bob

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
And remember having crystal clear water does not mean you have a healthy tank! Some times we think that when you have clear water you are in the driver's seat but not the case. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.