The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a new 55 gallon salt water tank. i know it is against most recommendations to add fish right away so we went ahead and bought pre cultured water. we currently have a bamboo shark, an anemine(not correct spelling), 2 puffers, a spider crab, a arrow crab, and a calico crab, 3 damsels, and a clown fish, and some live rock. The pet store that we currently go to isnt getting n salt water shrimp so we've been buying fresh water. the shrimp will live for awhile but some die off particularly in one corner creating somewhat of a graveyard. that spot is getting a white film over it and im not sure if its harmful t my tank plz help

·
Registered
31 Posts
yes, that white film is the bodies of the shrimp decaying, turning into chemicals that WILL kill your other fish... you need to take all that out ASAP and do a 20% water change and test for ammonia....
the freshwater shrimp will not survive in saltwater, hence the reason they are freshwater shrimp, Just wait til the LFS gets saltwater shrimp in then purchase them

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Oh boy...I'll try and answer politely before some fo the less tactful individuals jump in here. +1 to Brandon on the shrimp. They are dying and rotting, which can and will kill the other fish. I would also guess that your tank is still cycling. Buying cultured water won't do a lot. It is the die off on the LR that needs to be addressed, not the water. The cycle is a process by which bacteria grows on the surface areas of the tank, specifically rock and sand. this process releases ammonia, which different bacteria breaks down into nitrites, which other bacteria break into nitrates. Nitrates are then used by algae...this process goes until an equilibrium is reached. This is when the first fish should be added...not before. Ammonia burns the gills of the fish and can kill them.
I am not overly familiar with bamboo sharks, but I believe they are recommended for higher than a 55g. I may be wrong on that though. Regardless, based on the other fish I would say you are way overstocked for a 55g tank and the chances of the tank's filtration keeping up are slim to none...puffers are especially messy eaters and are usually recommended for nothing smaller than a 75g tank per Scott Mitchell's "500 Marine Fishes". That would be for one. Different varieties may vary as these are guidelines, but newer members to the hobby should be erring on the conservative side, not the aggressive side. If you don't have this book, I'd suggest getting a copy. It is great for general guidelines and information on compatibility and general care, etc.
It sounds like you are either getting some bad advice or need to do some more research, or both. TRT is a great source for information so I am glad you are here. If the LFS is telling you this mix and process is fine, then it is time to find a new LFS. Unfortunately, many of them are in it for the money and if something dies, you have to go back to them and buy something else...they win twice, you lose twice and the fish lose. TRT is in it to help educate people and make sure they enjoy the hobby for the long term.
What are your current parameters? what do you have for a test kit? If you dont have one, take the water into a different LFS and ask them for the following parameters:
PH
Salinity
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
Phosphates (high and low)
Alk
Ca
Mg

They should know what these all mean.

I hate to say this, but right now your tank is set up for a major crash. I am hoping it isn't too late to avoid one. If you have an LFS that will hold fish and/or trade them in, you may want to reach out them. I know if I tell mine that I am having a major issue that needs to be addressed and I fear I may lost my livestock in the process, he'd let me bring them in and hold them till the tank is stable. Some LFS may charge a holding fee, etc, but that is better than replacing a lot of dead livestock. Finding out current parameters would be a great start.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Oh boy...I'll try and answer politely before some fo the less tactful individuals jump in here. +1 to Brandon on the shrimp. They are dying and rotting, which can and will kill the other fish. I would also guess that your tank is still cycling. Buying cultured water won't do a lot. It is the die off on the LR that needs to be addressed, not the water. The cycle is a process by which bacteria grows on the surface areas of the tank, specifically rock and sand. this process releases ammonia, which different bacteria breaks down into nitrites, which other bacteria break into nitrates. Nitrates are then used by algae...this process goes until an equilibrium is reached. This is when the first fish should be added...not before. Ammonia burns the gills of the fish and can kill them.
I am not overly familiar with bamboo sharks, but I believe they are recommended for higher than a 55g. I may be wrong on that though. Regardless, based on the other fish I would say you are way overstocked for a 55g tank and the chances of the tank's filtration keeping up are slim to none...puffers are especially messy eaters and are usually recommended for nothing smaller than a 75g tank per Scott Mitchell's "500 Marine Fishes". That would be for one. Different varieties may vary as these are guidelines, but newer members to the hobby should be erring on the conservative side, not the aggressive side. If you don't have this book, I'd suggest getting a copy. It is great for general guidelines and information on compatibility and general care, etc.
It sounds like you are either getting some bad advice or need to do some more research, or both. TRT is a great source for information so I am glad you are here. If the LFS is telling you this mix and process is fine, then it is time to find a new LFS. Unfortunately, many of them are in it for the money and if something dies, you have to go back to them and buy something else...they win twice, you lose twice and the fish lose. TRT is in it to help educate people and make sure they enjoy the hobby for the long term.
What are your current parameters? what do you have for a test kit? If you dont have one, take the water into a different LFS and ask them for the following parameters:
PH
Salinity
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
Phosphates (high and low)
Alk
Ca
Mg

They should know what these all mean.

I hate to say this, but right now your tank is set up for a major crash. I am hoping it isn't too late to avoid one. If you have an LFS that will hold fish and/or trade them in, you may want to reach out them. I know if I tell mine that I am having a major issue that needs to be addressed and I fear I may lost my livestock in the process, he'd let me bring them in and hold them till the tank is stable. Some LFS may charge a holding fee, etc, but that is better than replacing a lot of dead livestock. Finding out current parameters would be a great start.

Hope that helps.
I agree with everything stated above. Especially the crash. Unfortunate way to learn. IF I was you I would think about returning your livestock and letting the tank cycle proper. It is difficult to say what will survive and what will not but chances are next to none if you have yet to go through the ammonia cycle

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Wow...sorry for all of my typos...trying to get you an answer fast while multi tasking another project and being half asleep didn't help...sorry...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts