The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all well i tested my water just now and its horrible!!!!
SG: 1.024
pH: 8.0-8.2
Nitrite: 5
Nitrate: 80!!!!
Ammonia: .25

i tossed in some stuff to remove ammonia and nitrite but my nitrates are crazy high, i never had this before. i had recently moved my whole rock structure around and i had split some rock to make a cave. could that be the cause. did i cause my tank to start a new cycle. please help. i cant do a water change cuz i ran out of salt and dont have cash to buy more. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Just sit back for 2-3 months and let the tank cycle. Trying to reduce the level of ammonia at this point is only going to lengthen the cycle.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well heres the problem. i have a feather duster, xenia, 2 clowns, and zoanthids what do i do.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Are the fish stressed? I wouldnt put too much stuff in right now because rapid change is very harmful to the fish.

·
Registered
494 Posts
the stuff you put in to remove amonia and nitrite is only a temp. relief it wont remove them for good and ive learned (from this site) that chemicals arent the way to go

·
Registered
494 Posts
if you need water i have arond 10extra gallons i just got today left over from a water change that you can come get.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Let me read through your posts. I'm not sure if I got you confused with someone else or not... but I'm still working, so perhaps someone else should run through this for a quicker answer?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice thanks for the offer but i dont have a ride to boca, nor do i have a car, im only 16LOL. Well im gonna check my water tommorow. ive got 6.24 ill see if i can go to my lfs and buy some premade sw or some salt. i will see if i go tomorry but im not sure cuz i gotta go on a trip to clewiston for research. and none of my fish are stressed and my tank is an 8 gallon biocube.

·
Registered
494 Posts
if none of your fish are stressed then thats good.. your just gonna go through a mini cycle.. everything should be fine just give it some time

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Reduce your feeding. Tell the LFS your dillema if you shop there regularly they may cut you some slack and spot you 5G of premixed, free or for the $6. Then do a 2G WC asap then a series of 1G WC for the next 3 days. Check the sofa fore loose change.... check the sofa in your friend's house too... Good luck

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i would love for them to do that but they said that they wouldnt gurantee them living. im gonna go to the lfs tommorow cuz i got a crap load of chemistry to do, im gonna get alot of salt so that if this happens again im prepared. this is just so weird i tested my water monday and it was perfect, then i moved my rocks all around and boom this happens. odd..... well i guess theres a lesson in this. i just cant wait till i get my new tank this summer. 150 gallons baby!! ohh yeah. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts