The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I need a way to get the hood and maybe the canopy on my 125 out of the way. The tank has an AGA modern series canopy and the hood sits on top of that. The problem is that there is not enough space between the hood and the canopy to reach into the tank to do water changes, scrape the glass, etc. In fact, it's hard to even got food in the space that is there now. Without the canopy it would be usable but still not a lot of room to reach inside and I think the water would get overheated if the hood were directly atop the tank (the hood has 3x400w MHs anf 2 VHOs). Plus, the canopy looks nicer. I'm looking for ideas on a way to be able to get the hood and canopy out of the way without needing 4 people to do it (makes it tough to stick to a regular schedule). Thanks for any suggestions.

Studly:dance:

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,419 Posts
Hmmmm, if a hinge set up is not a option,,,,,how about something along the lines of a hoist /pulley system? i know a few reefers that suspend their canopy above the tank and raise it up a few links of the chains to do work on the tank,,,

·
A goof
2,923 Posts
On our tank we have a few inches behind the tank, so we got 2 1" square pieces of acrylic that are over the tank and hang over the end. It lets me slide the hood most of the way off the tank.

HTH

Jon

P.S. I can try to get pictures if needed

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Our canopy is a PITA... no good access and it weighs a ton. Well, maybe not a ton, but quite possibly more than I do. Anyway, I hoist the front edge up and wedge a 2x4 in when I need to be in the tank. It isn't pretty, but it works.

Danielle

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Cabinet doors in the front of the canopy???

·
Registered
807 Posts
Nobody seemed to like my pulley system idea Jay, why do you think they'll like yours any better?:D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i like yours joel :D

but i would prefer one in black. blends better with the decor.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
I would get rid of the canopy and hang the hood from the ceiling with some nice looking chain. When you get ready to do maintenance use some "S" hooks to shorten the chain thus raising the hood a few inches.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I hung mine hood with chains and used a 2x4 framing and love the results! HHmm think I need to raise the right side a notch!;)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts