The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys I am new to the forum I just logged in today and I need help I started my first salt water reef tank a couple of weeks ago... tested the water today the water seems to be perfect now PH is around 8.4 Ammonia test very light yellow probably just above 0ppm Nitrite test blue at 0 ppm and nitrate tested around 5.0 ppm now the problem I have now is algae lots of diatomaceous algae so I need a cleaner crew any suggestions on what cleaner crew I need to assemble for a 30 gallon tank ? I wanted to get these guys this weekend so any fast responses will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ty

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know I have to do a water change every 2 to 3 weeks of about 25% I just have not done this yet because there is nothing in the tank besides sand and live rock. Should I do a water change at this point in the tanks life already ?

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
how long has the tank been up? and welcome to the reef tank, if you would go ahead and click the 'Everyone should read this: reefkeeping made easy' link in my sig it will answer a lot for you. its quite a read but it will very well put you on the right track for your new aquarium. nvm I see its been a couple of weeks. have you been putting anything in your tank to start the cycle? food or ammonia or anything of the such?

·
Administrator
16,806 Posts
http://www.reefcleaners.org/
Hey Tervos, this is the outfit I use, and have never been disappointed. But they do tend to overwhelm you, so I purchase a size package that is for a tank 1/2 the size of mine. Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its been up for just about 2 weeks now and my LFS said the rock sand and then put a dead shrimp in there for a while to help start the tank I took it out after it made my tank really cloudy then waited some more time and now the water is good, just a lot of algae

·
Sea Stang
984 Posts
Your tank is doing what it should be doing at this stage. You are worried and rushing for clear water with colorful inhabitants too quickly. Let it do it's thing and while it is, follow PhaneSoul's advice and begin the long read of the "reefkeeping made easy" thread he has linked in his signature. This is a painfully slow hobby that requires great patience and the will to seek out knowledge. My system is still dry and being planned heading on three months after purchase while I try to educate myself on how to do it right.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
well to see if your tank can handle ammonia well put another piece of shrimp in and test for ammonia, once you can test for it see how long it takes to convert to nitrite then to nitrate, if the ammonia converts to nitrite within 12-24 hours I would say you would be okay to add 1 fish, someone will correct me if im wrong.

are you feeding your bacteria daily at all? its to my understanding with nothing in the tank for the bacteria to feed off of the bacteria will start to die and feed of themselves until they deplete

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
go slow...as for cleaner crews, the online sizing is truly a joke. What happens is they eat everything, then starve and die, releasing all kinds of nutrients back into the tank to allow algae to grow again...The goal with the cleanup crew is to reach an equilibrium with the algae in the tank. Start slow. In a 30g, maybe 3-5 cerith snails and 2-3 trochus snails. I wouldn't do turbos and I prefer trochus over astrea (about the same size, but trochus can flip themselves over when they fall and astrea need human intervention to right themselves).
See how they do and a few more if they are falling behind in a week. As mentioned, what your tank is experiencing is perfectly normal. We call it the uglies.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Tervos, remember a "clean up crew" is really only a 'tidy up crew". They can make things look neater, but you still have to take the garbage out.

Welcome to TRT!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I bought my water from my LFS. I'm going to go around to some of the LFS right now and ask them what I should do for a cleaner crew and I will get back to you guys on what they suggested.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Tervos IMO you should just go with what people post here, lfs are business's and they want your money. Very rarely will you find a lfs that will sell you a tank one day and refuse to sell you a pair of clowns to put in the tank that same week instead of refusing to sell them to you and make sure you cycle your tank first.

·
Administrator
47,313 Posts
Yes I bought my water from my LFS. I'm going to go around to some of the LFS right now and ask them what I should do for a cleaner crew and I will get back to you guys on what they suggested.
Does your store mix it up and sell ready to go salt water ? Do you know if they use Ro/DI to mix SW up with, have you checked for specific gravity with anything othr than a swing arm hydrometer?
What test kits are you using?
If you see any trace of ammonia on the readings DO NOT ADD CLEANERS yet. And note that as mentioned cleaners are a tool, they are not the end of the line, whatever they eat will come back as poop and needs dealt with
The tank is so new I would chill for a bit and give it time to ramp up bio process and start to settle down

1 - 16 of 16 Posts