The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you may recall, a while back i added that evil furry red hermit crab with an anenome on his back. he turned out to be a carnivore and i caught him munching on the tips of my green brittle starfish's legs. he chewed off about 1/2" from 4 of the 5 legs.

the hermit was subsequently banished back to the lfs.

well, i'm now seeing regrowth on ALL four legs!!!! the growth is almost 1/2" long. it hasn't grown the feelers back yet, and isnt as thick as the rest of the leg. but i am extremely happy to see that they are growin back. so i guess i must be taking care of the water quality pretty good. :)

sorry for the bad picture.. for some reason the starfish wont pose when i tell him to :D

·
Super Moderator
27,666 Posts
Way to go, Jay! It does look like you're a good reef daddy too :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
paul the spotted thing is a cowrie. it's a really big giant snail. he hasa covering that comes out of the bottom of the shell and completley covers the entire shell to ward off predators. when he sleeps he pulls the covering back inside the shell :)

http://www.angelfire.com/alt/reef/photos/reef922.jpg

for referance, the cowrie is about 3 1/2" long!

thanks cath!! :D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks doug, i knew it had a name but for the life of me i couldnt remember what it was called :)

paul, when the mantl comes out and covers the shell, it has lots of little knoby things hanging off of it. they are supposed to look like manacing teeth to prey, but hey are jsut little flappy pices of "skin" :funny:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts