The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i am new to the reef tank site as well as new to setting up a reef tank but anyways i was plumbing the tank for a sump and used a small 1/2" brass fitting on the out let of the pump (mag drive 7) it was the for about 2 weeks and within this 2 week period i lost almost 80% of inverts and corals so i was wondering is there a way to make the tank save again that's not going to be involving a total take down?? i already ordered poly pads and cuprisorb and a copper test kit but is there any other action that i should take??? and how much copper do you people think that a small brass fitting can leak into the water in 2 weeks
:(

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did the same thing when I first set up my tank and it's well worth whatever tear down is needed to get it out. I wasn't able to keep any sort of invert over a couple of weeks and my corals were dying off too. The only thing that was able to stay alive were the gsp.
Once you get the brass fitting out, run the cuprisorb for a week or two and you should be rid of it. Make sure that you keep the packet in the flow of water and not just lying in the sump. You'll see a night and day difference in the health of your tank within a month.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the same thing when I first set up my tank and it's well worth whatever tear down is needed to get it out. I wasn't able to keep any sort of invert over a couple of weeks and my corals were dying off too. The only thing that was able to stay alive were the gsp.
Once you get the brass fitting out, run the cuprisorb for a week or two and you should be rid of it. Make sure that you keep the packet in the flow of water and not just lying in the sump. You'll see a night and day difference in the health of your tank within a month.
so your saying that the cuprisorb will remove all the copper out of the system?? is that what you did ?? even absorb the copper out of the sand and live rock??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im running exrta carbon (2 packs) and some clear fast (fluval) and doing aggressave water changes! do you think that it will ever be able to suport reef life again and also how do i tell if the live rock is still alive??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heck yeah i replaced it with a poly pipe fitting for the pump (plastic) no more metals for this tank ..does anyone know if the tank will ever go back to normal?? because with water changes and the skimmer running aswelll as poly pads and carbon and cuprisorb i think that it will make a difference wouldn't you and maybe possibly remove the copper altogether?? because it wasn't 100% copper it was around 60-85% copper??? or should i not even try?? i was also wondering if i used the pumps and skimmer on another tank will it get contaminated??

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I think you can reuse your equipment, the issue is that the copper leaches into the sealant in the tank. Did you test for copper? I would do that so you havean idea how much if any is in there, and monitor it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya think that will fix the problem though?? and if i was to take down the tank to set up another one and used all new rock and sand but the same pumps and skimmers and power heads do you think it will leak back in ??

·
Salty Dog
1,044 Posts
Sand is better because the larger grannules of the CC leave more room for detritus to settle and it tends to breed nutrients. Although...Bare Bottom is considered to be the best as far as general tank health goes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok sounds like a plan ..remove the sand now and to remove the "copper" then leave it bb for a couple of weeks then add new sand in later?? i do like the sand in the tank and so do my zebra dart fish (bar gobys)

·
Salty Dog
1,044 Posts
If you want to go that way it sounds like it should get you through. When you add the sand back in it might be a good idea to keep it a shallow sand bed like 1/2" thick. That should give the gobies the environment that they need and still get a lot of the benefits of the BB tank. Easy to clean etc. That what I would do at least.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts