The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the subject says it all....I plugged it into a hole and well today I realized it is MIA.
Will it attach itself on its own. Do I have to worry about whether it got buried in the substrate?????
grrrr, 1st one in the tank and I lost it.
It is so little I am not sure I will be able to find it at all. It was also pale when I put it in the tank and I am not sure the color would have popped yet. Any suggestions for all you yuma ppl?????

- Dawn

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
They can be pretty hardy. If its on the loose, you may find it pop up somewhere. However, if it wasn't looking pretty pale to begin with it may not make it depending on where it landed and how much light it is receiving.

Placing any softy in a crevice hoping it will attach can be pretty risky. I like to use some kind of fine netting ( wedding veil type material, also the plastic netting that onions come in works well ), place the netting over the mushroom or softy and rubberband the netting to the rubble rock. Remove once it attaches in a couple of weeks. Using a rubberband directly to the soft coral sometimes works but can also slice the coral and still float away if you wound the rubberband too tighly against the coral so the netting tends to work better.

If paying for the coral, I never buy unattached for this very reason.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although it looked pale....it was only $3. So I figured I could take a chance with it. I didn't want to rubber band it for the very reason you mention and I had no mesh of any sort. I will look again, but it is probably history.

David Grigor said:
They can be pretty hardy. If its on the loose, you may find it pop up somewhere. However, if it wasn't looking pretty pale to begin with it may not make it depending on where it landed and how much light it is receiving.

Placing any softy in a crevice hoping it will attach can be pretty risky. I like to use some kind of fine netting ( wedding veil type material, also the plastic netting that onions come in works well ), place the netting over the mushroom or softy and rubberband the netting to the rubble rock. Remove once it attaches in a couple of weeks. Using a rubberband directly to the soft coral sometimes works but can also slice the coral and still float away if you wound the rubberband too tighly against the coral so the netting tends to work better.

If paying for the coral, I never buy unattached for this very reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had a mushroom do that too ,it was hiding on a rock covered in Ricordia that i had bought,but came loose in the bucket . so i stuck it in a little hole (the hole was a bit to big) and it fell in . I figured it was pretty much gone forever .It was about 1/4 the size of a dime . Well 3 months later i found it again hiding behind a rock and it was about 10 times the size it was ,roughly the size of a quarter .Unless it gets sucked into something it'll show up sooner or later.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
ric yuma IMO are not hardy, if they are bleached they are harder to get to come back.

good luck :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jerry,
I am writing this one off....I can't find it and like I said, it was pale a few days ago. If it does turn up great....otherwise oh well, I'm only out $3 (and what would be a cool color to have).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts