The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week we bought a squamosa. Day before yesterday, I put him in tank water with DT's. Set for about 10 min. Returned him to sand bed. Yesterday he was beautiful!!!! Today, drawn in. And just now, a peppermint shrimp was eating him. What in the world went wrong. I honostly dont think it was sick to start with??? I did a lot of water flow changing of directions this am.(wavemaker was only working on one side)What would be in my water that could kill him? I mean, what should I do tests for? All parameters SEEM fine. I am not sad about the $$$, its that it was a living and beautiful creature and I killed it :(:cry: :cry:

·
Registered
778 Posts
T. squamosa is easily stressed if you put the clam under lighting that is too bright with strong currents. also, did you burp your clam of air bubbles when returning it to your tank?

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Nicole, don't feel bad. I lost my Ultra Grade Crocea. I thought it was going great for about a month, then bang. withdrawn in. One or two of the experts think maybe my foot long bristle worm did him in. I am gonna wait till I rebuild my tank before I try clams again.

Ray

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nicole, I'm so sorry for the loss of the squamosa. While squamosa's are thought to be one of the hardiest of the clam species we keep they still have got to have stable water params. When you say the water seemed fine, what was the calcium, alkalinity, pH?? Clams are super sensitive to pH swings. Clams are not happy in a lot of current, enough to ruffle the mantle is about too much IMO. If the clam only lived for a week with you I would say I bet the clam was sick when you got it. That or else something really bad would be in your water and you would be seeing other problems.

I would not worry as I don't think you killed it. It may have been doomed before you ever got it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.